Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling a **** for a few weeks now. I first caught them stealing my birds. Now I have found them in my compost and garbage(after upgrading my coops security.
This morning when I went to let out the birds only he rooster would come out side and even them he was cautious and looking into my apple tree. I looked up to see what was up there and it was one of the 4 ***** I have seen around my place. Sadly for the **** my grandfathers .22 was with me this time and I put hiits lights out. Anyone else ever catch a **** in the act of killing a bird or trying to escape early morning?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last **** I saw was a big boar, it claimed 2 chickens. I went to open the coop and there it was, I was not able to get him because I left the rifle in the house.
Well from then on I have had a trap set and always bring my .22 to the coop. This girl was on her way out, if she hasn't moved I wouldn't have seen her. Sadly for her my ole .22 is accurate as could be.
Also no chickens were harmed last night. Which is awesome.

image-2848955325.jpg

This is perfect size to make a hat for my nephew! And the dogs love the boiled meat. Waste not want not, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
powderhogg01 said:
The last **** I saw was a big boar, it claimed 2 chickens. I went to open the coop and there it was, I was not able to get him because I left the rifle in the house.
Well from then on I have had a trap set and always bring my .22 to the coop. This girl was on her way out, if she hasn't moved I wouldn't have seen her. Sadly for her my ole .22 is accurate as could be.
Also no chickens were harmed last night. Which is awesome.

This is perfect size to make a hat for my nephew! And the dogs love the boiled meat. Waste not want not, right?
I would string his carcass up from the highest tree as a signal to other *****!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I hate everything about ***** I found one eating one of my chickens from the back end and she was still alive I had no gun so the sob got away I was left with having to kill my girl and another night he came and killed a chicken ripped it open and only ate the eggs out her it was like a horror movie. We did finally catch it in a trap and took it for a swim :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got one last night. Worth noting that he had 2 others with him. They were attempting to release him. I got the one in the DP trap and the others cleared my property before I could shoot.
The duke trap work where the live trap did not bad the live trap was cleaned out and was empty. Crafty critters. That 2 down in a few weeks.
Dogs going to be eating good this week.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Last **** we had on our place was found lying dead and stiff on the back porch, had a broken back. Jake's first kill at 5 mo. of age and he didn't leave a mark on it. We haven't had a **** since then but have found a few dead possums in the yard...same thing, broken backs.

Love that dog!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bee said:
Last **** we had on our place was found lying dead and stiff on the back porch, had a broken back. Jake's first kill at 5 mo. of age and he didn't leave a mark on it. We haven't had a **** since then but have found a few dead possums in the yard...same thing, broken backs.

Love that dog!
My dog refuses to stay outside. He like being right by my bed. Not sure how to break that habit. He is only the first of many German shorthaired pointers to come. Love these dogs.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bee said:
Nice, fat ****!! Must be good eats where they live! ;)
Yeah, my chickens. Haha. Actually have not lost one since the last attack a month or two ago. And believe it or not bee, but for this area these are small.
I live by a historic railroad park, people love to feed the critters. I tracked the ***** back to their home base which is a boulder field. Latrines all over. Come winter I will effectively lower the population to a more natural number.
It seems in my neck of the woods preservation is the keyword not management. Where I grew up big and small game was properly managed at a proper balance. Here in Colorado everyone loves to feed the animals and keep them around, to overpopulation point.
So I draw every hunting tag I can and do my best to help manage the herds and critters in the woods.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Good job! I've noticed the same folks who like to feed the wildlife will scream and moan when the populations increase until they are hitting deer with their cars while driving in city limits or when the deer eat all their flowers, or if the ***** kill one of their cats.

Management was the best way and always will be.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hunting and gathering was the best way. Humans seem to forget as we push further into the natural zones that SHOULD be wild we will increase in the conflict by effecting the ecosystem.
Humans are very destructive and effect everything around them. In such I feel strongly that as stewards of the lands in which we inhabit we are responsible for responsible management.
I know several people who despite being told otherwise put out feed for the elk. The elk are now in such a large number the destroy the meadows and such in the area. The worst for me is watching the winter kill from over populated mule deer and elk. It's sad to watch a herd thin to nothing because they are so many and the foo so thin.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Yay good for you! We have a lot of ***** here before I got my chickens I used to think they were cute & put food out for them. No more now we shoot them with a pellet gun. If we didn't have neighbors we would do more than a pellet gun for sure. Do y'all use a 22? Thinking about getting one since the range is a lot less???

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
An unobstructed .22 bullet can travel up to a mile, depending on the gun and ammo used. They have a longer range than a pellet gun.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We use a .22 and it does the job! I got 4 coyotes last year. The lake will lower in the fall and the coyotes come across. I was home with my daughter because she was ill and I looked out the front door and their were 7 coyotes chasing the chickens!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jennifer said:
We use a .22 and it does the job! I got 4 coyotes last year. The lake will lower in the fall and the coyotes come across. I was home with my daughter because she was ill and I looked out the front door and their were 7 coyotes chasing the chickens!
Where do you live? And can I come for a weekend visit? 7 coyotes... "Lemme at em" is all my .22-250 is screaming right now.
nothing strikes my fancy like a pack of coyote..
As for the *****, if they are small I dispatch them with my pellet rifle that shoots over 1250 fps. Big ones get the .22. Right between the eyes. I could post a pic of my shot placement, but I think we all know what it looks like.
As for the skins, I make hats and sell them at the mountain man rendezvous in wy. Coyote pelts get sold to the fur buyer in Denver, and I keep all fox or cat furs for myself.
I try to live as well as possible while keeping the area I live well managed. In 4 years I have lived here and managed predators(something the locals do t bother with) I have seen a noticeable increase in elk and mule deer. Not only in numbers but in antler mass. By chasing the predators from town, they now pick off the weak herd members, like they should, and we have a healthier ecosystem all around.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I love it that you are taking steps to restore the balance in your area and aiding the wildlife in the process. So many people have stopped hunting...it's nothing like it used to be when I was growing up.

I think the wildlife has suffered tremendously by this decline in active hunting of preds and deer life, alike. Both populations have suffered in the competition for food supplies due to this lack of management.

Kudos to you!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts