Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined ths site and then can't find the time to post. It's canning season and from sun up to sun down I am either in the garden or the kitchen. With time out for the chicks of couse. Does anyone here can or am I about the only one left that does this. I made pickles, pickle beets, and canned beets, carrots, green beans, peas early on and put up the corn. I still have the squash and pumpkin to do yet and the cabbage is slow but almost there. Will make sauerkraut out of it. Although this is a lot of work we will eat good this winter. Have a herb garden in a garden window too. Put up 6 cord of wood so will keep warm also. Almost ready for winter and none to soon. It is definitely fall and cold nights semi warm days. Chicks are going to be more work than I remembered I think. Keeping water thawed, cleaning them in the cold weather. But worth it when I go to the chick yard and they come running and talk to me. Be back when the canning is done. Have fun everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I canned beets this year. I also made some amazing tomato meat sauce that I've been enjoying. Yes, lots of people here can and cook. My garden isn't big enough yet to have that much produce. I've got a lot of stuff in year one: strawberries, asparagus , cherry trees, blueberries (year two), raspberries and blackberries. So I'll be a little more involved next year.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I can everything from salsa, stewed tomatoes,jams,pickles,jalepinos, anaheim green chillis in pork sauce etc..
also into bread making,wine making,beer making my cellar is full:) I'm planning another large raised garden for next spring..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got my chicks this summer and the plan is to have a big veggie garden next year! Years ago when the kids were little I use to get really *into* canning! Jen

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
So the party is at your house then, hey Cindy? I really need to catch up to you folks. I'm just a slouch compared to all you're doing.

·
Banned
139 Posts
So the party is at your house then, hey Cindy? I really need to catch up to you folks. I'm just a slouch compared to all you're doing.
ha ha youre welcome anytime:) I got into chickens a long time ago and then the whole thing just took on a life of its own pretty soon I was making everything I could from scratch. I'm addicted to the feeling of do things myself and it save tons of money and the rewards are awesome lol I would love to live off grid one day:) sometimes I think I was born in the wrong time.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I think you were born at exactly the right time. We need people like you teaching the rest of us what's what. I've got so much catching up to do. Haha

·
Banned
139 Posts
I will teach you how to make wine my husbands the beer maker in the family.
wine is so easy to make and so good I'm bottling 30 bottles of black cherry wine today
it comes out to less then a dollar a bottle to make myself vs 12-14 a bottle from the stores
the only problem is friends love it too:)

·
New Chicken Mom
596 Posts
chicken envy ~ wanting to do what you are doing. I don't can, freeze everything, but downloaded some good kindle books on it, plan to learn or try this winter.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Maybe we can learn together. I just purchased the newest Joy Of Cooking and it's got some great techniques and recipes and all kinds of good resources. I bought a canner a few years ago, but my dishwasher has a sterilizing feature so I use that for jars too.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Wine-making (and testing!) class at cindy's place!

I would love to learn how to make wine. I tried once - a kit - it was awful. :eek:

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Keeping it simple this year, taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, pickled onions, hot sauce (1st try this year), I will do jams and jellies later in the year, I have the fruit in the freezer right now. I kept the garden small this year, I started too big and it got overwhelming, so I went micro this year, hoping to do three or four beds next year so I have more tomatoes.

We cidered 15 bushels last year, so we won't do that this year, but I'll get some apples for freezing pie mix, maybe a few pints of apple pie filling as well. I hope to find a good deal on pears, I would like to put up some pear butter. I think I like it more than apple butter!!

·
Banned
241 Posts
I learned how to ferment this year and it is SO easy. I've done zucchini relish, sauerkraut with blackberries, cherry tomatoes, carrots, grapes and cherries. Takes up quite a bit of room in the fridge but you can do one jar at a time so it's never like a marathon canning session. Been there, done that - actually hoping I have enough in a garden to hold one of those next year. This year was a "lost gardening year" for me because of moving twice and starting with nothing again. I'm going to try to keep it within reason though. I have a tendency to try to go "too big, too fast" and then burn out right in the middle.

I amazed myself that I kept it to only 6 chicks!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Does anyone here can or am I about the only one left that does this.
Yep. Lots of canning in this house. :) I got the "bug" in '08 and haven't looked back. Started out with tomato sauce and soup. Put up 60 qts. of sauce that year, about 30 qts of pickles and 20-30 pints of pickled beets. The following year I got a pressure canner and started doing low acid veggies and meat as well as homemade soups and other leftovers. Nothing beats going to the store when the store is in your basement.

Put up 6 cord of wood so will keep warm also.
That's about what we have so far but I have room in the wood shed for 4-5 more so I'm picking away at that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, people who love chickens AND canning. What a wonderful site I've found! I don't have my 1st chickens yet, but I do a bit of canning. I have a pressure canner, but I only seem to use the water bath. By the time I finish all my jams and jellies, I hardly have the space for tomatoes... salsa and marinara. I had such a stellar year for tomatoes that I just deseed them now and shove them in the freezer until I can find the time to process them.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Igemini,

...we love chickens, gardening, canning, cooking, music, physical fitness and each other. Lol. This is a wonderful place. This, my friend, is Chicken Land! Now go get yourself an ID photo and a sticker/decal! Welcome!

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Energyvet........we have 4 cats left now. We have 2 ferals who live in our bedroom under the bed and one true Tabby. Our Angelina, the baby of the family who is now 7 years old is who knows what. She is long haired, (4") and on the back is the most beautiful orange and underside is white. Will post pictures when I get time. Not of the ferals though. They are 12 years old and I have yet to get a picture of them. We also had 7 cats, all rescues but lost 3 of them in 2011 of kidney failure. They were all very old though.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
We garden, can and all that good stuff ... And this year, thanks to the greenhouse we will try a winter garden.

·
Banned
241 Posts
It's my dream to have a greenhouse......

Until that happens, I'm sprouting things and growing small flats of greens, like bok choy. I did spring for a plant shelf with 4 levels and lights and MADE it fit in this small space. ;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts