Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one of my newly hatched bantam chicks dead cold last night. The cause is unknown to me. i removed it from the cage and place it on the ground so i can clean the cage. the moment i turned my head away from the carcass, the free roaming juveniles snatched it and tore the dead chick apart. they are feasting to it like what they do when i feed them bugs. I know i feed them very well that was i am amazed and at the same time horrified by the behavior that they showed me. :eek:

·
1,466 Posts
I found one of my newly hatched bantam chicks dead cold last night. The cause is unknown to me. i removed it from the cage and place it on the ground so i can clean the cage. the moment i turned my head away from the carcass, the free roaming juveniles snatched it and tore the dead chick apart. they are feasting to it like what they do when i feed them bugs. I know i feed them very well that was i am amazed and at the same time horrified by the behavior that they showed me. :eek:
I have heard that they will eat their own when dead
but WOW!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Ya, chickens are known for that. That's why when a chicken gets injured, they have to be isolated from the flock asap. The others will go after the injured non-stop. I'm sorry they took after the little one you just lost like that. =(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive been having this problem,I have three hens,one is always being picked on by the other two.she was pecked so hard a few weeks ago that I had to keep her in for two weeks while the wound healed.I put her back outside during the day now but they wont leave her alone,I saw one attack her yesterday.I wish i knew what else to do,she hates being cooped up and I only have 1 fenced in backyard.What a mess:mad:

·
1,466 Posts
Ive been having this problem,I have three hens,one is always being picked on by the other two.she was pecked so hard a few weeks ago that I had to keep her in for two weeks while the wound healed.I put her back outside during the day now but they wont leave her alone,I saw one attack her yesterday.I wish i knew what else to do,she hates being cooped up and I only have 1 fenced in backyard.What a mess:mad:
it could be that the 2 hens are guarding the food
try adding a 2nd feeder even if it is a small one.
if that doesn't work try removing 1 of the problem hens
that will change the pecking order yes it sounds odd
but when you put the agressive hen back in they might just get along fine
you could also get a couple more girls
this too would shake things up

good luck
piglett

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Coop up the two mean hens for a couple weeks, and leave the one hen out to have the run of the place. After a couple weeks, let one of the mean hens out, then a day or two later, let the other one out. This makes the mean hens the new ones, and the meek one the old hand. It up ends the pecking order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts