Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not always, but I usually have a pretty good idea based on who is looking patchy, has stopped laying, or has had their comb shrink a bit. I have noticed that my roosters are particularly hard to tell when they're molting and I usually only know when they start dropping tail feathers. Some of my girls, though, are complete disasters when they molt. I'm rather glad that my notoriously disastrous molters all seem to be molting now and not in December this year. o_O

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not always, but I usually have a pretty good idea based on who is looking patchy, has stopped laying, or has had their comb shrink a bit. I have noticed that my roosters are particularly hard to tell when they're molting and I usually only know when they start dropping tail feathers. Some of my girls, though, are complete disasters when they molt. I'm rather glad that my notoriously disastrous molters all seem to be molting now and not in December this year. o_O
That is my concern! I was hoping that they would all molt now before it gets cold. Currently, only my mama hen appears to be molting. She really reminds me of a disheveled, sleep deprived mom. 😂

All the other hens look fine, and I was hoping that maybe they molted and just didn’t show as much. Please don’t decide to do this in the middle of winter, ladies!

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
Usually my field will be filled with feathers.
Literally you can't even see the grass it's all just feathers. Do they molt every season? Like spring, summer, fall and winter? Or just once a year?
Cause usually I don't pay much attention to that stuff.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually my field will be filled with feathers.
Literally you can't even see the grass it's all just feathers. Do they molt every season? Like spring, summer, fall and winter? Or just once a year?
Cause usually I don't pay much attention to that stuff.
I don’t always remember what I read, but I think I read that they typically molt once a year after they get adult feathers, usually in the late summer or fall. I think it varies by type of chicken too.

There are a lot of feather in my yard too, but a lot of them look like turkey feathers, so I don’t know. The white mama chicken is obviously molting because she looks sparsely feathered and the pen is full of white feathers. She isn’t acting sick in any other way, so I assume it is a molt. She needed it the most too because she had some damaged feathers from our old rooster and from crunching her tail against the side of the nesting box.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Juvenile chickens go through periodic molts as they grow, but after they reach maturity, they only molt once a year in the fall, or sometimes during or immediately after rearing a batch of chicks as you're observing with your girl. Most young chickens skip molting in their first fall and only truly have an adult molt from their second fall on, but some of mine have had an adult molt in their first fall as well.

Feathers everywhere is a good indicator! :ROFLMAO: I guess I didn't think of that because I have so many birds that they're all molting at different times, and I can't necessarily tell by feathers on the ground if a specific bird is molting.

It can be worrisome to think of them molting midwinter, but for the most part, they don't molt so many feathers that they would have trouble in the cold. Some do have extreme molts and end up with naked patches, and those might have some issues with the cold, but cooler temperatures also tend to encourage them to grow those feathers in faster, so as long as you keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't getting too cold, they should be just fine. :giggle:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Some breeds are continuous molters that lose a few feathers at a time all year long, but never get a patchy look. My serama are such a breed. My Phoenix do molt heavily, so when they molt it is obvious.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
I don’t always remember what I read, but I think I read that they typically molt once a year after they get adult feathers, usually in the late summer or fall. I think it varies by type of chicken too.

There are a lot of feather in my yard too, but a lot of them look like turkey feathers, so I don’t know. The white mama chicken is obviously molting because she looks sparsely feathered and the pen is full of white feathers. She isn’t acting sick in any other way, so I assume it is a molt. She needed it the most too because she had some damaged feathers from our old rooster and from crunching her tail against the side of the nesting box.
I see, ok because that's what I thought, I had a feeling it was once a year, seems to much to be every season.

Oh I hope she isn't sick I assume she is molting also, no signs of sickness but losing feathers just sounds like a molt so I'm sure their is nothing to worry over.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see, ok because that's what I thought, I had a feeling it was once a year, seems to much to be every season.

Oh I hope she isn't sick I assume she is molting also, no signs of sickness but losing feathers just sounds like a molt so I'm sure their is nothing to worry over.
She kinda looks like a mom who hasn’t had her stiff cup of coffee yet!
Bird Phasianidae Beak Comb Chicken

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, she's gorgeous!
Thanks! She is an extremely gentle and great hen. Lays eggs like crazy! I picked her up today and it looks like she is getting some pin feathers, so hopefully she will be all feathered again soon. Poor girl.

This is the closest breed I could find that she looks like when she is all feathered out.
Bird Organism Beak Adaptation Feather

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks! She is an extremely gentle and great hen. Lays eggs like crazy! I picked her up today and it looks like she is getting some pin feathers, so hopefully she will be all feathered again soon. Poor girl.

This is the closest breed I could find that she looks like when she is all feathered out. View attachment 42618
WHAAA? There is a such thing a WHITE australorp?

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts

This is the closest breed I could find that she looks like when she is all feathered out. View attachment 42618
Wow, must be a white australorp then, she looks just like the one in the picture. Are orphingtons and australorps related? I'm reading something in the bottom of the picture saying that they are. Unless I'm reading it wrong..

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
="
Sorry posted accidently twice so I had to edit this post and remove the other one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, must be a white australorp then, she looks just like the one in the picture. Are orphingtons and australorps related? I'm reading something in the bottom of the picture saying that they are. Unless I'm reading it wrong..
It looks like they are according to that site. I am mostly clueless when it comes to chicken breeds. Here’s the link to that list.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
1,740 Posts
It looks like they are according to that site. I am mostly clueless when it comes to chicken breeds. Here’s the link to that list.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts