Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can i put my 5.week chicks outside...here in AZ it's warm during the day and a little chili at night

·
Banned
825 Posts
Hi can i put my 5.week chicks outside...here in AZ it's warm during the day and a little chili at night
I'm in NORTHERN "High Altitude" New Mexico....
(certainly NOT Phoenix or nearby)...
...and I would certainly put them outside here....(with an Infrared Heat-Lamp about 2 feet above a small area......
Where they can be NEAR the heat-lamp OR...as THEY determine...
AWAY from the heatlamp.

MY experience has shown me that they will do FINE ! :)

just my 2-pesos worth,
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you want yo, you can start turning the lamp off during the day and on at night for about a week to help wean them off of it. This helps them get used to the new temperature changes. I do this at about 3 weeks of age and it gets much colder here in NC than in AZ

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If they have most their feathers they usually do just fine. As ReTIRED says just give them the option of laying under the heat lamp if they need it. I don't know how many you have but if its a sizable group they can also cuddle if they get cold. If you're worried you can put them out for a bit and just watch what they're doing. Their behavior should be pretty obvious.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If they have most their feathers they usually do just fine. As ReTIRED says just give them the option of laying under the heat lamp if they need it. I don't know how many you have but if its a sizable group they can also cuddle if they get cold. If you're worried you can put them out for a bit and just watch what they're doing. Their behavior should be pretty obvious.
Let them out....they've been out for a week

1 - 6 of 6 Posts