Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have about an 8x10 area in side for them(part of the barn) and a 10x25 area outside for them. I was thinking of getting 10 off each. It might be a little tight. I could expand the outside but I thought meat birds done forage that much.

·
1,466 Posts
I have about an 8x10 area in side for them(part of the barn) and a 10x25 area outside for them. I was thinking of getting 10 off each. It might be a little tight. I could expand the outside but I thought meat birds done forage that much.
my understanding is if they grow up with a good foraging breed they can & will forage. i would ferment what feed they you do give them so they get more out of it & to save on your feed bill.

good luck
piglett

·
Registered
366 Posts
when housing turkeys with chickens chickens carry ( i believe they carry it ) a disease called "black head. chickens are immune to it but turkeys are pretty susceptible. black head can be fatal to turkeys. i know someone who has one turkey with there flock of like 50 or so chickens but they all free range on a 5 acre farm. i advise not to house them together unless it is a short period of time. i will post a pic of what black head looks like.

·
1,466 Posts
i know a lady in Texas who has raised poultry all her life
she is pushing 50 so we are talking about a bunch of birds. (thousands)

what she told me is she has always mixed meat turkeys with meat birds
but never mixed them with any of her laying flocks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was only talking about meat birds as in a heritage breed where they are together for a longer amount if time... But it's good to know that a Cornish cross would not likely harm the turkeys :)

·
1,466 Posts
I was only talking about meat birds as in a heritage breed where they are together for a longer amount if time... But it's good to know that a Cornish cross would not likely harm the turkeys :)
she didn't say cornish by name so she could have been just talking about DP cockerels that were for meat

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have RIR's, and supposedly Ameraucanas, and I also have 6 turkeys who are living happily ever after together. No blackhead disease. Supposedly if it's in your area, you're out of luck. So far, so good. By the way, they get along great together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts