Chicken Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm about to have my first pen built. What does everyone use for the bottom of their cage? I've heard that 1/2 in chicken wire is best for sanitation reasons. (There will be a drop pan underneath each pen) Would chicken wire be too hard on their feet? They will have a run out doors, so I'm mostly interested in knowing what to use in their cages. Thank you!underneath each pen) Would chicken wire be too hard on their feet? They will have a run out doors, so I'm mostly interested in knowing what to use in their cages. Thank you!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've seen lots of variety for floor.
I'm using sand over linoleum. I just use a cat litter scoop to clean it up quick daily. So far so good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like those ideas. They gave me a few ideas of what I can do with the flooring. Thank you. If anyone else has an idea, please share. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use half inch wire. It is perfectly fine for the feet of the quail. I use that and the pans in to bottom of dog cages

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
With our quail we used rabbit wire for the bottom and sides with a "soft" top.

Best of luck!

·
1,466 Posts
hold on quail are really small...rite
smaller than a normal chicken
so for such small birds i would go with 1/4" wire
you know the kind with the little squares
now for older birds or larger birds the 1/2" wire mite be fine

good luck
add pictures when you can
piglett

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm about to have my first pen built. What does everyone use for the bottom of their cage? I've heard that 1/2 in chicken wire is best for sanitation reasons. (There will be a drop pan underneath each pen) Would chicken wire be too hard on their feet? They will have a run out doors, so I'm mostly interested in knowing what to use in their cages. Thank you!underneath each pen) Would chicken wire be too hard on their feet? They will have a run out doors, so I'm mostly interested in knowing what to use in their cages. Thank you!
What type of quail

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We decided to do a removable lament floor. It's going to have a slight slant to roll eggs into a basket. Thank you all for responding! I can't wait to get them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts