Quail Button quails

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robopetz, Jan 8, 2013.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

If y'all remember I have 3 button quails since they were a week old. They have reached the age of egg laying. Well I been looking everyday and nothing yet. But today, I caught two of them mating. The female I thought was female turned out to be a boy and same thing with the boy he turned out to be a girl. Boy was I had at sexing them. Now I'm excited to see the eggs and babies! I have no clue what the 3rd one is....boy? Girl? Dunno? Lol

Attached Files:

2. robopetz

robopetz New Member

The 2 on the left I caught mating. The middle is the boy. The silver on the right I think is a girl lol

3. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Poebie is in with them! Do they get along? She looks like a giant compared to them!

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Ya, at first Pheobie was scared of them and now they live and even sleep together. It may be a problem when they start to have eggs though. She may peck at the eggs or the lil hatchlings.

5. queqid

queqid 40+yrs of Indiana Poultry

Remember that quails, no matter the sex, will "boink" any and all.

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Really? Gee's these quails lol. Well no eggs yet..

7. robopetz

robopetz New Member

And we have eggs!!! Yay! Found one this morning and was super excited. Snapped a pic and then discovered another egg by the feeder, so there's two tiny button quail eggs.

Attached Files:

8. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Oh my god they are so small! What are you going to do with them !?

9. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I made a home made incubator. I'm up to 7 eggs in 4 days. Come to find out the last one was a female too and she has been laying as well. They are all fertile cause I've seen the one male mate with both females. So I'm assuming they are fertile. Pheobie my silkie is intrigued by the tiny eggs, she just goes up to them and stares really close lol