Quail Button quail egg countdown...

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by robopetz, Jan 18, 2013.

1. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I have put in my first batch of button quail eggs. My first time ever with incubating button eggs. Wish me luck y'all!

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Good luck! Look forward to reading about the progress, any photos of the incubator setup?

3. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Good luck robopetz! How many are in there?

4. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I did a homemade styrofoam cooler incubator thingy. First 24 and temp was stable, so all good. So far! There is 7 eggs. One of the females laid one today already and the other will lay one too(assuming like she did 1 a day since). I read they lay clutches of 6-8? So that means I may get up to 16 between the two. And what happens when the 16 is up? Do they keep laying cause I pulled the eggs? Or do I wait for the next cycle which is when? Lol sorry. Hope someone can help.

5. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Bump!

Day 5. Decided to try candling, eggs are really hard to see in it. I managed to see in one and saw dark red lines, oh so EXCITING! Lol sorry had to share.

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

These were my test to see if they were fertile. Come to find out only one females eggs were fertile so I'm down to 3 only =\ but I got 3 batches, there's 4 in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd. They all were more than double those numbers but some had small cracks and I took out the infertile ones and left with these.

Yesterday, the female that was laying the fertile eggs had passed. It was so sad! I think she was egg bound because she hasn't laid on her usual time. Is there anything we can do, if I suspect it to happen again to another female? Anyway, I'm really hoping to get some hatchlings as her mother can live through her children. Today is last day of turning, so tomorrow lock down and the day after I'm really hoping for peeps.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Good luck. I keep kicking myself because Napoleons little hen wanted to sit a few weeks ago and I wouldn't let her because of the cold. I could have had some of his genes in a chick. But I didn't listen to them. I thought I knew better.

8. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

I never asked but how did Napoleon pass away?? ):

9. robopetz

robopetz New Member

I'm srry EV, I'm sure you'll find one just as lovable and a good guard as he was.

It was a hawk right?

10. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

I had a hawk problem for awhile they can be a pain!!

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah. It was a hawk. Yours too?

12. BantamHero

BantamHero New Member

Mine was a dog or a stray cat :(

13. robopetz

robopetz New Member

1 day till hatchlings! (Crosses fingers!) hmm maybe I'll get some early birds?!... Lol

14. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

Can't wait to hear how it turns out! By the large number of button quail we see at local auctions I've always assumed they were easy to hatch. Hope that's true. My daughter kept a few as pets, but a raccoon got into their pen. :-(

15. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Can't wait Robo!

16. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Me either! Lol my eyes are glued to them haha.

Sorry to hear bout your daughters pets. I hear the eggs are super healthy and good for you. So I'm trying for lots of hens as 5 button quail eggs equals to one chicken egg. So just hatch already!!! Haha

Oh and hens start laying after about 6 weeks of age, they grow quick! Just thought I'd share.

17. Jim

Jim New Member

Egg-cited.

18. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Today should be the day!.....

19. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Well Robo? Anything yet?

20. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Ugh..... No! Couldn't even sleep last night. I really thought last night was it. I could see that their lil beaks has broke into the air sack but that's it. I checked this morning and still in same position and still moving. Yay! So I did a search online and found they can breath the air in the air sack for 48 hours. So here we go again. Today should be the day!! Hahaha