Chicken Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A oldtime chicken raiser gave me this info on treating bumble- after fighting it with my roo for over a year it is finally clearing up- wanted to pass on the info- i use vetwrap, covered with ducktape- make the poultice by dribbling betadine on sugar and put that on the scab and wrap it-

Try the iodine/sugar poultice first, wrapping with the coflex(vet wrap) bandage to keep it clean.
Change it daily. The bacteria doing the dirty work is most often a staphlylococcus bacteria and
I've found that Penicillin G procaine (white penicillin) given at a dose of 30 000 I.U., twice a day
(once a day in less severe infections) is good at treating bumblefoot. (If there is no change in the
swelling after 3 days, then you may have to open the wound up.) Hopefully the wound comes
around with just the Pen G procaine and the iodine/sugar poultice.

IF YOU HAVE TO OPEN IT UP: If you have to, you must wrap it every day until it is more or
less healed, or more staph bacteria will get in there and start the whole cycle back up. This is why
I avoid it if possible. There probably won't be any liquid pus in the foot, but a cheesy pus that works
its way into the tendons and ligaments in the foot- be prepared to get as much out as you can, but
don't risk damaging the foot. Flush it out with sterile saline (under pressure- put the saline into a syringe
and flush with quite a bit of force). I avoid hydrogen peroxide in open wounds as it stings and can do
tissue damage (if used too often... It has it's place, though). You can flush the wound with a tea colored
solution of betadine and water- mostly water with just enough betadine to make the solution the color of
strong tea. Flush this in first (again, in the syringe) then flush it all out again with the saline.

·
Artfulwings
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry! Its tough to deal with, i have been fighting this in galahad for at least a year, i'd think its cleared up and it would return, i am going on 2 months now changing the bandages now once a week and it is slowly healing, but i think every case may be different- but i would use this treatment first- what were your boys symptoms that point to dying of bumble? just so folks can be on the alert?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts