Chicken Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
There's a forum member who is using them on his rooster because he's so over enthusiastic about breeding. (young boy) They seem to be working. So, yes, the peepers probably would work.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If I were in a position to get more this minute I would be back home again already, saying ‘but honey, the people on the forum TOLD me it was a good idea, promise!” Hahaha
But- that’s a really good thing for me to keep on the back burner for the future as needed! Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
Do not lay the blame on us. Your hubs goes to work with a side arm. :mad:

That might be your only option. If you do try the peepers don't expect to find them at the feed store. More than likely you'll have to order them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You’re so right- see, I would get a few from Rural King, or consider it anyway, as they have some red laced blue Wyandotte’s- or did! Chickens are pretty big thing around here, and there are quite a few who raise them and sell to local stores, so as evidenced by our Jackie and Chip last year, we do get some good quality birds. No guarantee, ever, of course, but at least there’s a chance.
But I want to get from a breeder directly this time anyway. I rly don’t need the required 4 or 6 the feed stores are asking for, I truly need, for now, a couple more hens for the flock. I think. Spread the love and unlove around a bit more!!

·
Administrator
17,580 Posts
The hardest part is getting a breeder to sell you only two females with no accompanying male. They always have more males than they can use in their programs.

You might as well start looking now and reaching out to breeders so you've got them lined up in case you need to get them from more than one source.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have found a good source- ‘The Chicken Man’ lol.
I’ve spoken to him, his was a retirement hobby gone horribly larger than he had planned! Lol- he loves it and has open house dates in the region, apparently has 3 locations now etc. And he has a lot of breeds, several I’d love to have. So I think I’m good, we just have to get done w this snow crud!! I’m not building in snow. Nope.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Right?? I thought the same! His feedback is really good from other people, and he was a really nice guy to talk to as well. I hope I can do a little chicken business w him soon! Lol
Also, spoke to the guy who took our Australorp roosters last year, and he says he will be incubating soon, and two of those pullets have my name on them! Another nice guy. I have been fortunate.
And Dan is going to take the poofies too! Yay! We are hoping for a March chicken meet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'll be honest.c I ran across the porcelain DUccle on EBay first- and that was it for me! I was in love with the 'ghost Jackie' chickens! Lol. I said it looks like either a photo inverse of her Mille Fleur pattern, or, as I said- ghosted!
But- thanks. He's getting awfully fancy looking these days.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts