Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 4 chicks, about 4-5 day olds
One just kept pecking the others eyes to the point it wouldn't stop and I was worried
I have taken the bully out, is there a reason why it would do this? It will not stop chirping now it's by it's self , it's not cold, has food and water?
Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
There at the age where they are establishing there pecking order. As long as the others aren't injured I think they will be ok. I've only had chicks twice so maybe a more experienced person will chime in.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I've never experienced that with any chicks I've ever had...never saw one pecking at the other chick's eyes. What is the breed of this chick? Sounds like a Wyandotte... :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm told Araucana but she had other breeds in together, pekin, silkie, astralorp and oeg

image-4008098123.jpg

Here it is pecking the other chicks eyes! I have seperated them again :(

Attachments

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Maybe you can take that one back to the source of origin and trade for another chick that won't be interested in blinding their food competition.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm new so don't look to me for any expert advice, but I have read that using a red lamp (rather than a bright white one) will reduce pecking because it doesn't provide as much contrast and also doesn't overstimulate them the way a bright light would. Can you try switching out to a red light and see if that helps? I was given a white light and when I switched it to a red one I noticed a difference in the chicks right away. They were calmer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have swapped it for another and they are all getting along fine now
It didn't peck the other chicks went it went back so I think it was just a personality clash! Lol
I have a white light and do does the lady I bought them from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts