Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flock consist of 5 hens, 1 rooster, 3 guinea keets about 2 months old & 3 male guineas. We lost a guinea female about 2 weeks ago, and it seems since, our male guineas are bullies. They chase the hens away from treats, and fight with our rooster frequently. We are keeping the keets separated, and one flew into the other pen, and the adult guineas immediately made a run for it like it was food. I'm wondering if I should put the keets with the chickens, and keep the guineas separated?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would separate the guineas .I would put the keets in with the chickens (If the chickens will tolerate them) until they are older and can go in with the other guineas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
I would separate the guineas .I would put the keets in with the chickens (If the chickens will tolerate them) until they are older and can go in with the other guineas.
Do you think they are being bullies because they are all male?

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
Honestly, I've found, guineas are just always bullies. My guineas are loose and they always pick on my free-range chickens. They also try to push each other into moving vehicles on the road... Thankfully none of them have died because of this.
I think it's just in their nature to be bullies, but maybe that's just mine? :confused:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MatthewBK said:
Honestly, I've found, guineas are just always bullies. My guineas are loose and they always pick on my free-range chickens. They also try to push each other into moving vehicles on the road... Thankfully none of them have died because of this.
I think it's just in their nature to be bullies, but maybe that's just mine? :confused:
Haha! I thought it was just mine! We were letting our chickens free range prior to getting the guineas. We got guineas to take care of the numerous snakes. We kept them all in the run for a while, then decided to let them out. The guineas instantly took off. They spent the day in our woods, then came back thru our yard, then right across the street to the neighbors. They never made it home that night. The next night my husband found them down the road in the woods minus the one female. So now we have them back in the run & not letting them out for a while. Looks like we will have to redo our run to let the chickens out & keep the guineas in

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
Haha! I thought it was just mine! We were letting our chickens free range prior to getting the guineas. We got guineas to take care of the numerous snakes. We kept them all in the run for a while, then decided to let them out. The guineas instantly took off. They spent the day in our woods, then came back thru our yard, then right across the street to the neighbors. They never made it home that night. The next night my husband found them down the road in the woods minus the one female. So now we have them back in the run & not letting them out for a while. Looks like we will have to redo our run to let the chickens out & keep the guineas in
That is a real shame that you have to keep them penned up. Like you said, they do such a good job at getting rid of the snakes. And bugs too! When I go to other farms without guineas I see a huge difference in the bug population as opposed to mine! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MatthewBK said:
That is a real shame that you have to keep them penned up. Like you said, they do such a good job at getting rid of the snakes. And bugs too! When I go to other farms without guineas I see a huge difference in the bug population as opposed to mine! :)
We have only had them for about a month now. They are 1 year old. I'm hoping if we give them some more time they will stick around in our yard. We got them to take care of our yard, not our neighbors. We wanted 2 males & 2 females, but ended up with 3 males & 1 female. We got keets thinking they will stick around better when they get older. They are supposed to be females, but I guess time will tell

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
We have only had them for about a month now. They are 1 year old. I'm hoping if we give them some more time they will stick around in our yard. We got them to take care of our yard, not our neighbors. We wanted 2 males & 2 females, but ended up with 3 males & 1 female. We got keets thinking they will stick around better when they get older. They are supposed to be females, but I guess time will tell
We've actually never had a problem with the guineas staying in the farm yard. I hope it works out for you and they stick around. If you can get your older ones to learn to stay around the house then I'm sure the little ones will do just the same! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts