bullied hen

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by torr, Oct 29, 2019.

1. torr

torr New Member

hello I am having issues with a hen that is being bullied by a three hens. They are newer and younger.
    Because of the bullying she won't go outside and sits on the roosting pole all day. What can I do to get things back to normal. any suggestions would be appreciated or anyone that has experienced this and how they dealt with it.

thanks

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

My first thought is to pull two of them out and put them somewhere the bullied hen and the remaining hen can't see or hear them. Unless you're set up for it it can be a struggle. Most of the time a large cage in the garage works. Let the two form a bond and after a couple of weeks reintroduce the other two.

If that doesn't work, watch. See which one is the aggressor because there is usually a leader of the pack that starts the trouble. Pull that one and isolate her the same as separating two.

Actually, try removing the hen that seems to be starting the trouble first. If that isn't enough then pull a second out.

What you're trying to accomplish is have the bullied hen and one of the new hens bond so that when the other two are returned she's got a buddy. It might still turn out that if there is one starting this she can't be broken of it and will have to be permanently removed.

3. torr

torr New Member

So should I remove the 3 bullies I cannot pinpoint which one starts it but I know there are 3 that always go after her. I do have an extra coop in our garage that I could put them in.

4. robin416

What you want to try to do is leave one behind to see if your bullied hen and one of the bullies will bond. That way when the other two are reintroduced she's got a backup partner.

If you removed all three there's no way she can bond with one. This is not going to be easy and it's going to take some time.

I got out of chickens 8 years ago, it's taken me that long to get down to one remaining hen but she couldn't be left alone so I got two young pullets. While they weren't mean to her she hated them. So, I rehomed the two pullets to a friend that gave me ten quail to be company for her. It's worked quite well.

5. torr

torr New Member

ok I will try that with winter approaching i sure don't want her sitting inside on a roosting pole to avoid the bullies. thanks for the tips

6. robin416

Chicken personalities can be quite complicated. I never had to deal with that issue until recently but that was more about my 8 year old hen having a say about what was acceptable to her.

Basically what you have are three birds that formed a bond and they see the bullied hen as an interloper in their flock and react accordingly. Doesn't matter that the one was there first. Now it's a slow go introducing them and establishing that the bullied hen is part of the flock.

I'd suggest dividing things off but even if the three can't be physically together they can still see and hear each other which means the one wouldn't have to bond with the original hen.

7. robin416

Oh, and if you find that the one you left with the older bird isn't working out. Remove it and try one of the others.

8. torr

torr New Member

I will try removing two of the three bullies and see if the one I keep in there bonds with the hen that is getting bullied.

9. robin416

It's really the only option you have if you don't want to rehome two of the three.

10. torr

torr New Member

And I don't want to re-home the one that is getting bullied either she is the sweetest thing IMG_20190928_141439_485.jpg

11. robin416

Nope, not the bullied hen. Your place is her home, the others are going to have to get with the program if they want to stay.