Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm brand new to this whole chicken thing so I need to build a coop. We just got 6 chicks. I've read online that they should have about 4 square ft per chicken so I was going to build a coop that was 4'x6' but I'm curious if I built one a little bigger, 4'x8' aside from saving me some time and cutting would there be any draw back? Can anything bad happen if they have to much space?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bigger is better in my opinion. You may want to get more. My advice is give them as big a run as you can, if you don't free range, and at least 1 box for 2 birds. Bigger is always better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've been told a minimum of 2sqft per chicken. Bigger is always better. I have about 60sqft on the inside (not counting nesting boxes) and plan to make an outside area of about 250-400sqft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife and I are kind of torn right now on the whole free range thing. I'm probably gonna start out with a large run and make the decision later. It's one thing at a time right now, they are just over a week old. Coop first, then rum, I mean run.......... ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I agree with the others, go larger than you need. In the future you may want more . Plus there may be times they flock need to stay inside the coop due to weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts