Bugs you can get from chicks???

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Mamachickof14, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

I see alot of pics with people holding their chicks close to them...just wondering if there is anything (like bugs) that we can catch from them? I love my girls and do pick them up...just wondering??? Jen:eek:

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Most external mites and lice are species specific. And most babies have not been exposed to anything that would cause them to be infected. And chickens eat ticks. So I think we are pretty safe.

3. kejmack

kejmack New Member

Mamachick, I've had chickens for 32 years and never caught a thing. Chickens that are well-cared for usually do not have any zoonotic diseases. Even lice is rare.

http://vbs.psu.edu/extension/resources-repository/publications/VSE-06-03.pdf
    The above link has a list of things that are possibly passed on by chickens, but like I've said, I've had chickens and ducks (and sometimes turkeys) for 32 years and never gotten anything.

4. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Wash your hands. Loved that article. Allergies and autoimmune, good to know!

5. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

As long as you don't kiss them, you won't get cherpes.... but don't worry I hear they are tweatable:D

6. jen3910

jen3910 New Member

Lol threej - love it :)

7. Happeesupermom

Happeesupermom Happee ChickenSuperMomma

8. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Threej, thats the cutest thing I've heard about chickens!! LOL :D Hearing this(that you won't catch bugs) makes me love them even more! I was afraid to pick them up and hold them although I did alot when they were babies. Thanks for the info! Jen

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member