BUCKEYES - The Perfect Homestead Fowl

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by cgmccary, Aug 12, 2012.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

Buckeyes are a perfect homestead fowl. They are very active foragers and when free ranged, they require very little feed. I free range mine and they cover my pastures well. They are superb at breaking up the manure in the pasture. Some of my Buckeyes have taken to following the cattle and picking off those pesky horseflies. I have even seen mine jumping up and taking the fly off the cow.
    [​IMG]

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

The more I read about this breed the more I would like to add some to my flock. I dont have pasture for them but do have 2+ acres of blackberries, huckle berry, and blueberries plus lots of vegitation and woods. Of course I will be waiting until spring to add to my flock now that we are getting into fall here in Wisconsin. Time will tell I suppose, but so far I like what I see and read.

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I did look at them, once upon a time. :)

And I agree they would make a great homestead fowl.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

What you describe is in The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollin. He describes this perfect farm and the chickens follow the cows in a chicken wagon from pasture to pasture. Every 3 days they switch. It's how nature was intended. Beautiful.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

I agree & a very good book.

Another excellent book is The Small-Scale Poultry Flock, An all natural approach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market growers, (2011) by Harvey Ussery (Chelsea Green Publishing, ISBN 9781603582902). I highly recommend the book to anyone seriously breeding poultry on the small scale and wanting to contribute to your breed. Ussery covers a wide range of topics in very good detail. Like me. Ussery utilizes broody hens to hatch and rear his birds. I use my Buckeye hens and find they make great broodies. I also use Game hens. With the Game hens, I can turn out in the open as they fiercely protect their young. A Buckeye hen, I pen with her young as she will allow me to pick them up (i.e. the Buckeye hen will rush at me but fall short of attacking me vs. a game hen will ferociously attack me). On the other hand, I like the Buckeye because she can cover more eggs & she readily accepts more chicks - I had a Buckeye hen that took 24 chicks. I notice that Ussery uses a LF breed X with a Game hen and finds them effective as broodies as well-- A hen raising chicks is as nature intended. Broodiness is ALWAYS lurking (hidden) in the chicken genes and cannot be completely stamped out.

Here are Buckeye hens going to the compost pile:
    [​IMG]

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pretty buckeye hens. Thanks for the reference. I'll act on it as soon as I can. It is exactly what I'm looking for.

7. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Glad to see you found the Chicken Forum, Chris!!! Welcome, aboard we can always use MORE Buckeye fans to sing their praises!!!

8. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Jeff, where can I get some Buckeye chicks? Won't be until next year, but our regular hatchery doesn't raise them.

9. BuckeyeChickens

Riverdale, you can check out the American Buckeye Club "Breeder Directory" to find Buckeye breeders in Michigan (and other parts of the USA) or visit my website in January and place an order for hatching eggs or day old chicks!!!

www.crainsrunranch.com

Right now I'm taking orders for fall hatching eggs but I don't ship any chicks until March!!!

Regards,

10. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

One of them is less than 10 miles from me! I'll have to stop one day and see them!

11. BuckeyeChickens

That's GREAT, I hope you find them to your liking!!! The Buckeye is a tremendous dual pupose fowl for cold climates....Good Luck and keep us posted!!!

12. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

Thanks Laura!

13. cgmccary

cgmccary New Member

13 week old Buckeye cockerels hunting/ chasing horseflies on Dexter cattle:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXu1Wf9mH2Y"]Buckeyes foraging with cattle - YouTube[/ame]

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Started out like a ballet.......

15. Apatedolos

Apatedolos New Member

Hi guys, just found this place! I'm so wanting to get buckeyes, they are such a pretty type of chicken. I think I joined your yahoo group but can't find the link to it. My old computer crashed. Life is getting so hectic with the kids starting school and all. Oh listen to me ramble. Anyway, hoping to get 6 soon!

16. Pathfindersfarm

Pathfindersfarm New Member

17. Shumaker

Shumaker Member

Actually, the ABC was "re-established" May 2008 and the website was launched January 2009....to comemorate the 100th anniversay of the original ABC that was started in 1909!

I encourage everyone to visit the relatively new website; www.americanbuckeyeclub.blogspot.com ; to explore this exception breed of poultry. Many great things are coming in 2013 for the buckeye!

18. RedBird

RedBird Junior Member

19. Pathfindersfarm

Pathfindersfarm New Member

You can't "re-establish" a breed club that's been dead for decades. What you folks did was pick up a name of a club that had been defunct for years, act like you had some connection to it (you don't), and use it.

Theoretically, you using the old logo is a violation of trademark law. Just fwiw.