Brown egg layers

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by nntramp, Sep 11, 2012.

1. nntramp

nntramp New Member

I would like to find a breed of brown egg laying chickens that you can honestly look at and know if pure breed or not with out a doubt currently have barred rocks but it's amazing how few true barred rocks are out there and easily known as true bred

2. kejmack

kejmack New Member

Buff Orpingtons, Dominiques, Black Australorps, and Speckled Sussex are all fairly easy to recognize. Find a poultry club in your area (use Google or ask at your Extension Office). Generally, you can get the best birds from devoted poultry club breeders.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Pickin Chicken app. Works for me over and over again.

4. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Aaahhh, I think I know what you mean. I have "Barred Rocks". I would have never known except I had ordered a few Rocks back when I did a big order from a well known hatchery. I bought the original birds from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, I just had a handful of Barred Rocks and Partridge Rocks.

Rocks have a distinctive profile shape, a light slope from head to tail, lots of lovely feathers and a well shaped head, small comb. They are a dual purpose breed with good breast development and good egg laying. However......

Just like with dog breeding, when a specific breed becomes popular, breeders (who don't care about consistency and quality) come falling out of the trees! Barred Rocks are a very popular confinement bird for brown eggs. With the demand for larger productions of brown eggs going up the quality of the birds goes down. Hybrids lay brown eggs but are physically spent quickly. It's a good bird choice for someone who wants eggs and will replace their layers every two years. However Rocks are traditionally kept by backyard people, like me.

Of that large chicken order I have two hens left, both of them are Rocks. Both of them from Meyer Hatchery. They are 6 1/2 and I know that Cinnamon, the Partridge Rock still lays the occasional egg, however Miss Mary the Barred Rock is now in retirement and has taken up knitting.

Anyway, I later ordered 12 Rocks from the local feed store. Never again. Whatever hatchery they came from are NOT producing rocks. These birds are Leghorns in Barred outfits. They have short backs, some have the tall and floppy comb, they are skin and bone, but AMAZING egg producers. Most of them don't molt correctly, and I have two that lost a LOT of feathers last year, and just aren't growing them back. I really think that they are bred for egg production and not keeping true to the quality of the breed.

So, how to prevent this?? Right here is a good start, ask where people get their birds, read about others flocks and ask questions. I ordered from Meyer back then because they were breeding Delawares, a VERY good dual breed, and the quality of their peeps was top notch. The next time I need birds I will order from them, and skip the feed store convenience (and cheap price)!!!

:eek:

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Thank you for that. My original intention was to go to Myers but my head has been turned by some many other options. Back to Myers it is then.

I really love that your hen knits, BTW.

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I agree with kejmack ...

Also it is "Fair time" ... All the clubs will be heading to local and state fairs. Great place to have a chat and get a look at the birds and all they have to offer.

7. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

I saw some nice barred rock layers at our county fair this year. Asked the dad if he wanted to sell and he didn't. Asked him where he got them and it was the same place I got mine, Eagle's Nest in Oceola. I guess I have ti give mine some time to look that good.

8. twentynine

twentynine New Member

I understand what is being questioned here, matching the breed standard to the actual purchased chicken.

Never been one to put a lot of worry into meeting the standard, I put a lot of worry into if my chickens do what I want them to do.

I have a strain of RIRs right now that for sure do not meet the breed standards, but they are feed efficient, lay early and long, not broody, medium bodied, for my purposes they are perfect.

I also have some barred rocks, while being closer to the standard, they are less of what I want in the breed. They are heavy bodied, not a feed efficient as the RIRs, and much more skittish. I would prefer a medium body, calm, quiet chicken, that lays a large medium to large egg.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

True on the standard but if thats is what you have in mind ... well...

That is what one can look at.

Right now, my flock is of this and that ... my chickens, with what my son got and one can not leave out the grandbaby and her "easter chicks" ...

But the fairs are a great place to meet & great folks and have a chat about chickens in general. :)

IMO... :D

10. oakwood

oakwood New Member

Pure bred French Copper Marans lay the darkest chocolate coloured eggs , most types of Marans lay very dark brown eggs, they are noted for this ability .:cool:

11. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

But if I just look at a chicken, how can I tell if it lays brown eggs? I think that's the question here. Not breed "standards", just which ones - by sight - lay brown eggs?

I've heard that if they have red ear lobes, they lay brown eggs.

12. oakwood

oakwood New Member

[​IMG]
    This is a grade chart of cream to the dark copper marans eggs .
    So it all depends on how brown you would like you eggs to be .
    Numbers 2/3 egg are from your standard hybrid brown laying hen .

13. TinyHouse

TinyHouse New Member

What chickens lay those eggs (2/3) oak? Ones that you can just look at and know that they will lay those brown colored eggs?

I think that's what the original post was asking.

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I have got a book that lists the breed of chicken and color of eggs they will lay. Give me a bit and I will try to find it.

Cogburn

15. cogburn

cogburn New Member

I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Cogburn

Attached Files:

16. nntramp

nntramp New Member

I want to know if there is a breed of b.e.l. That u can tell is pure breed with out a doubt I've had reds and barred rocks both but when started hatching had odd ball colored chicks coming out!

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Chicken Pickin app tells you breed of chicken, egg color, good forager, broody and other general information. It's great for someone that doesn't know those things (ie. me.). It might work for you too. It's fast, very easy to use, and unless you loose your phone, it's always there when you need it. Just a suggestion. I'm kinda an iPhone nut. Just saying.....

18. nntramp

nntramp New Member

I know what standards are and what breeds lay brown eggs I'm looking for a breed that you can look at and say that bird is a pure breed that is not a mutt.... I do agree with earlier post bout finding birds that do what you want but at the auctions something that stands out will bring a higher price... I'm frustrated with buying red chickens then finding non red colored babies or having barred chickens start having red colored barred chicks and yes I did keep the breeds separated but of the two flocks I've tried that's what ive had happen

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I can only suggest hatcheries. Meyers, Carter's Legacy and others. They have to keep their breeds pure or no one is going to buy from them. Then you can improve once you get your stock in place. Can't go to auctions and know. An animal can be phenotypically perfect and yet be genetically mixed. That's why at dog shows you must be able to prove pedigree yada yada yada. I think you are looking in the wrong places for what you want.

20. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

So if I'm reading this right ... you have a breed in mind and you want to keep that breed true. (An not get a mutt)

IMO ;) ~ Study that breed, check pictures of that true red chicken (you are looking for) from day one on up. Know what kind of comb it has, body size (light/heavy) and general shape.

Once you get to know what you are looking for, mutts seem to stand out. I have seen people call a barred rock a dominique but I know and love them so ... So a true dominidue stands out for me.

Hope this helps and best of luck.