Broooooooody Buff Orpington.

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Iteach2008, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 New Member

Any ideas on how to stop her?

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

My Australorp, Lilah, did this to me a couple months ago. She was extremely insistent - no roo though so no fertilized eggs. I kept picking her up out of the nest box and bringing her outside with me when I was home. I don't know if yours are free-range or kept fenced in. Mine are generally fenced in their run unless we're home when we can keep an eye on them. I also blocked off the nest box on her which made me feel mean but she wouldn't eat, drink or anything. Poor little girl was just as miserable as I was. For us it lasted a week. My Australorp is the only one who went broody. She's a little over a year old. Except for my mix, the others are over 2 years old and have never gotten broody.

3. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 New Member

So how did the other birds get in to nest?

4. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

Best way I found is to remove her from the nest to a cage out of site of her nest, with lots of air under her. This cools her bottom and usually in about 3 days, she lost interest in setting. ;)

5. Lady_Alia

Lady_Alia New Member

I have an EE that sits, every day, she sits. She's an Easter baby so she's only 5-6 months old....but every day!! I hate forcing her up to get the eggs but I don't want young ones going into winter.
    Poor girl :-(

6. piglett

piglett Senior Member

if you don't have a rooster , get that girl some eggs from someone who has one. she will be glad to hatch you out some new stock :)

7. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 New Member

Will they keep laying when they are broody?

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

No, she won't continue to lay when she's broody. I had a blue silkie that stayed broody all winter, and sat on a corn cob. Sounds like a bad joke, but she kept that half cob under her all winter. I left her alone, she kept the other chickens warm, and she didn't eat as much, so I figured what the heck...

To break them, you have to cool their breast. That is what heats up to keep the eggs and chicks warm. A small cage suspended off the ground works great.

9. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 New Member

She has stopped being broody. I just spent one day taking her off every time she sat down. She hasn't done it since. I think we got lucky.