Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always tried to stay with breeds that don't go broody, but I could tell the last several days that this one was edging that way. Frosty is a mix of leg bar and Easter egger (I think). I left her with three eggs that were laid yesterday. We'll see how she does. I marked the 3 eggs (one cream leg bar, one Easter egger, one olive egger) so I'll know which are which since she's in the favorite nest box.
Wood Fawn Poultry Snout Livestock

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
Well, she does have part of the genetics that would call for broodiness.

To show that who does and doesn't go broody is a crap shoot. I've had quail go broody. They are not supposed to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always tried to stay with breeds that don't go broody, but I could tell the last several days that this one was edging that way. Frosty is a mix of leg bar and Easter egger (I think). I left her with three eggs that were laid yesterday. We'll see how she does. I marked the 3 eggs (one cream leg bar, one Easter egger, one olive egger) so I'll know which are which since she's in the favorite nest box. View attachment 44348
Congratulations
Bird Food Plant Beak Toy

Hope You Hatch out some pullets and sweeties also post some more Photos once they hatch

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to get one chick out of the three eggs. This one is 8 days old today and appears to be doing just fine. Mama finally brought her (pretty certain it's a "her") out of the coop on day 3 or 4. One egg was cracked by what I think was probably a chicken toenail since the broody hen was in the favorite nesting box and the others would pile in there to lay. Another egg just completely disappeared the day after this one hatched. Absolutely no idea what happened to it.
Bird Beak Feather Grass Poultry

• Love
Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
Ahhh, a baby. I hope you get a little girl too to keep the balance in the flock.

First thought was a snake but you're pens are so secure that maybe not.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could've been a snake. The egg was there the afternoon before and gone the next morning without a trace. I've relocated several rat snakes from the nest boxes over the years.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
I don't know why but I thought you were one of those Ft Knox pen constructors.

I had a rattlesnake help himself to a bunch of Guinea eggs until I spotted him in my front yard and removed him. Permanently.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not quite Ft. Knox. Snakes can come up through the "floor" under the roost area where it's 1X2 welded wire.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
1X2? If it was the snake, how did it get back out after swallowing an egg?

I've had them get stuck in my Guinea coop after having lunch in the pen. Trying to go back out the same way they got in didn't work so well.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soon after ingesting an egg that egg shell is basically crushed so not hard to get back through a 1X2 opening it came through if it was a snake that caused it to go missing. I really have no other explanation as to what happened to it. There were no bits of egg shell left in the nest like the shell parts left from the one that hatched the day before which I had already cleaned out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts