Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a silkie hen who is sitting for the first time on 2 eggs--(since sept 29) I watch my chickens everyday and she never comes outta the nesting box--I am worried because she never comes out--I have give her water and sm amts of food because she wouldn't come out if box. This is my first time as well with a hen sitting on eggs...how do I keep her healthy? Do I force her out of the box. Also how warm should the box be kept?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Those silkies sure are determined broodies! They will only come out of the nest once or twice a day. If I suspected one is being reluctant to do that, I do get them up off the nest so they can eat, drink and poop. They will either run to the food and water real quick and then back to the nest or brood wherever you put them. LOL Usually they do get up, you just might be missing when they do it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You can just pick her up and put her near the feed and water to see what she does. If you feed in the nest, there is a chance she won't get up to poop and make a mess out the nest and eggs. I wouldn't get her up more than once or twice a day though.

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
As someone who has raised Silkies for years, I completely agree with what adorson has told you.

It doesn't matter if you missed her getting off or not, it won't hurt to pull her out. When I get one like that I move the food and water as far away as possible to force her to work harder to get back to the nest. Those that refuse to get up can suffer from pinched nerves and serious deterioration.

Very often they get up when the males begin to crow first thing in the morning, so you could be missing her getting up.

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Average is about 8 months. They have to be laying for a while before the switch gets tripped to go broody.

And contrary to popular belief, Silkies do not go broody at the drop of the hat. Those under two will go broody more often but as adults maybe three times a year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Be careful what you wish for! I wished for that once and it has been non-stop ever since. LOL My youngest to go broody was 5 months. She seemed to develop earlier than the others and I honestly thought she was a roo at first because her comb and wattles were more advanced than her siblings. This is how she got her name of Charlie. She only laid 2 weeks before going broody.

·
Administrator
20,686 Posts
Be careful what you wish for! I wished for that once and it has been non-stop ever since. LOL My youngest to go broody was 5 months. She seemed to develop earlier than the others and I honestly thought she was a roo at first because her comb and wattles were more advanced than her siblings. This is how she got her name of Charlie. She only laid 2 weeks before going broody.
That's about right for the young birds. But once they get some age on them its not that often. Chicklett is under two, she's already reduced her broody moods down to three times a year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That sounds about right. Charlie just hatched her third clutch this season and she is 3 1/2 years old now. It is probably a good thing they slow down as they get older because it is hard on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have come to find the best mama birds are the silkies. Ours takes different breeds under their wings and raise them as their own :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts