Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My African Gray parrot is broody.She tore up her toys and was awkwardly setting on bell.It looked so uncomfortable that I gave her a chicken egg.She loves it and is fiercely protecting it,rubbing on it and keeping it warm.She charged me when I snuck in to take this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that.She wouldn't get in the nest.Plus,if she did hatch it,I'd have to take her baby away and she'd hate me.I'll let her have it a few days and see what happens.When I put it in there I didn't put any thought on how I would get it out.I don't think she's going to give it up very easy.I might pass it off on Dale,it's his bird.LOL

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pigeon eggs are probably the right size for her.I made Dale get her out last night and she sat on his shoulder and made the funniest noises and kept rubbing on his face and neck.She had some of these behaviors last year,too.I think she has reached her sexual maturity.I wonder if African grays are in their breeding season in Africa or if it has something to do with the longer days.She's about 15 years old now and I wonder if she will eventually lay her own egg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts