Chicken Forum banner

Broody Hens

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bird_slave 
#1 ·
Ok how about a crazy question. Is there anyway to make hens go broody? I have two that have been broody in the past. I would now like one if them to incubate some eggs.

#3 ·
If you can afford to lose a couple dozen eggs, or better yet buy golf balls, use those. Leave at least 5-7 "eggs" in a nest. Remove all fresh eggs. If using eggs, mark the old ones so you know which to remove. Eventually you will get broody hens. Best months for broody was are May and June.

#6 ·
At my house all I have to do is forger to get eggs, usually it takes 3 eggs. I have 4 broodys right now
I have a serama hen like that. Last time she hatched it was because she had outsmarted me and hid an egg in a different hiding spot. Of course the one was a rooster, but he's a good roo. Fortunately, mama serama is getting older and easy to break.
I tried for five years to get a broody out of my brahmas before I gave up. The next spring, a broody brahma. Took me forever to break her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.