Chicken Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope I don't sound silly but this is the first time we have kept chickens. Last week we found out that one of our bantams is a cockerel........ He found his voice!!!! Over the last few days one of my hens has become broody. Do I leave her in the hope they are fertilised eggs, how do I know? Or should I remove the eggs. I am worried though that the other hens may not lay because she is in the nesting box. I am happy to have chicks if they were to be fertilised eggs. Any advice please.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Remove her under cover of darkness by placing a towel over her and putting her in a nest by herself that is away from the other nest and place a cardboard box over the new nest with one end cut out...put her eggs under her and place the towel over the whole thing and leave it that way all the next day...keep her in the dark and on that new nest.

If it's hot where you are, you can poke some holes in the side of the box for air flow but still keep it covered with the towel.

That next night go and remove the towel...that gives her two nights and one day on the new nest before she can do anything about it. Keep the cardboard in place to discourage other hens from adopting her nest if she gets up, if they are nesting in the same building.

Then, you can candle them after a number of days to see if a chick is growing..there are places all over online that show how to do that and what to look for. If they are growing, let her have at 'em! Bantams are supposed to be good broodies and mamas, so it should be fun to watch. Provide water and a little food where she is but don't be too surprised if she doesn't eat much or get up much for long periods of time.

Don't be surprised by huge, black, stinking poops when she does get off the nest. :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts