Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my hen is broody, she has been sat in the nesting box for two days, she has not come out to eat or drink, should I move her?

·
441 Posts
The eggs are not fertile, as I do not have a cockerel
Okay, if you are not interested in purchasing hatching eggs for her then you might want to break her of her broodiness. It's not good for them to sit and sit with no results.

You need to remove her from the nest, repeatedly. With some hens that's all it takes is to be removed from the nest every single time you catch them on it. This may take several days before she breaks.

If she's a diehard broody, I can give you tips on taking the breaking to the next level.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I would just take her out of the nest box since you do not have a rooster. If she is persistant you can put her in a dog crate or something similar for a couple days then let her out.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I take it your in the UK area? We call them Cochins here ;) I know my standard size Cochin is super broody, if I dont collect eggs imedietly she will find it and sit on one lol.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
mine have been broody for about 2 weeks now. i keep moving them but it doesnt seem to work.

·
441 Posts
mine have been broody for about 2 weeks now. i keep moving them but it doesnt seem to work.
That's when you go to Step 2 - the broody breaking crate. You separate them into a crate with absolutely nothing they can make a nest out of. You want there to be as much air circulation as possible to cool their bum off.

Ummmm Rob, you aren't going to tell my hubby that I gave up on breaking my latest broody and she now has eggs, are ya? :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a broody Easter Egger. I put golf balls under her...from reading your posts that isn't good. She gets up during the day as other layers drop eggs off. I thought about getting fertilized eggs for her, but I figure the other ladies would attack the birds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts