Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a hen that has been broody almost 3 weeks. Any ideas how long this will last? Is it too late to get some fertile eggs for her to sit on?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My australorp lasted about 2 weeks with her broodiness. My ameraucana lasted a couple months before she cut it out ... for about a month. I think she's starting to go broody on me again a bit. Doesn't want to get out of the nestbox too much. At least I'm not having to drag her out though like I did last time. NO babies Josie! Or so I keep telling her. No boyfriends here so she's outta luck. ;) Anyway, out of my 9, only 2 have ever gone broody on me and their length of time was really different. Not sure if it is too late for fertile eggs or not being its been 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have any Roos either, I could probably find some fertile eggs for her. It would be my luck she would snap out of it before they hatched.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Didn't want to tell you wrong but share how my 2 girls were so different with their broodiness. Chickens are so unpredictable sometimes. Don't they know they're suppose to give us some sort of schedule so we know what's going on??? Gee's girls! ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I really appreciate it. That's what I am really looking for, people with experience in the matter and what they would do if it were theirs. I know that there aren't a lot of black and white answers when it comes to keeping chickens, kinda like kids :D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
They can be sneaky smart too like kids! I sure wish the snow would stop already today so I could let my girls out to enjoy scratching around. Its just yucky enough out that they won't go out to play.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are supposed to get more snow this week too, but, I live in Alaska, we will probably have snow through mist of April. A few years we will get some in early may, just to make me angry. It doesn't last long though.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
We do too. Spring is short and summer isn't much longer before we're right back to fall again. Gets depressing sometimes. I don't know how you deal with all the darkness you have in Alaska! That would drive me really nuts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it's already been 3 weeks you don't want her sitting eggs for another 21 days. She will lose weight. I would try to break her broodiness this round and let her sit eggs next time. The only thing that I have found that breaks broodiness is to dunk them in ice water. Tough this time of year because you will have to warm her up again quickly, but it works. The water has to be cold enough to be uncomfortable for you to keep your hands in or you just have a wet, broody hen. Goos luck!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
michelle621 said:
If it's already been 3 weeks you don't want her sitting eggs for another 21 days. She will lose weight. I would try to break her broodiness this round and let her sit eggs next time. The only thing that I have found that breaks broodiness is to dunk them in ice water. Tough this time of year because you will have to warm her up again quickly, but it works. The water has to be cold enough to be uncomfortable for you to keep your hands in or you just have a wet, broody hen. Goos luck!
Yeah, I decided to not give her any eggs this time. I don't think I can dunk her in ice water though, maybe if it were warmer. I noticed she was out of her box on her own earlier today, maybe she will snap out of it. I remove her when I bring them extra treats like today I cleaned out the fridge. The poor little girl isn't even a year old. I didn't realize they would start so young. My first go around with chickens. Thanks for your info!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My Josie went broody first time at 7 1/2 months. Now at 9 months, she's back at it. :eek: She's an ameraucana. Persistent little girl! The other girls never went broody except for australorp Lilah at just over a year old this summer. At least Josie doesn't yell at me when I take her out of the nest box. Lilah used to just scream at me. I had to start locking her out of the coop and finally put her in the old coop tractor to get her to cut it out. Thankfully it was during the summer. Way too cold out for the tractor now. Besides, its buried behind a 7 foot tall snow bank. We are getting Spring this month yet right? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I hear ya. All these seed catalogs I get in the mail and we can't even start planting till mid June. Still have to be prepared for heavy frosts then. Back to heavy frost nights towards end of August. =(

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I have never shaken a broody myself, but I have read to put her in a dog style crate with NO comforts, no bedding and no eggs and keep her away from the coop until she acts more normal. But, she may pop back into broody soon after. That may give you time to source either some babies to put under her, or some fertile eggs. It depends on how determined she is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take her away and put her in some kind of crate preferably with wire on the bottom. Keep her in there for two or three days with food and water. No bedding but some kind of roost. Put her back afterwards and see if she goes to the nesting box. If she does put her back in the 'broody breaker'. It worked twice with my silkie and this third time I just let her sit on some eggs. I got tired of keeping her penned up.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am hoping she is coming out of it. I appreciate all your suggestions. I take her out a few times a day, making sure she eats and drinks. She came out first thing this morning on her own, but was back in there this afternoon. If it were warmer I would just give her some eggs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts