Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a super broody hen who stays in her nest All DAY and keeps making noises when I take her out. She in the nest never even lay an egg and I feel her crop is full tho. She drinks water but she always go to nest. I try to separate her by letting her and the chickens sleep in our run it’s like predator proof and yeah they never like the coop try sleep in the run

·
Administrator
18,668 Posts
Some keep them in a separate cage to break the broodiness. But that's only temporary, they will soon go right back to being broody. You can either lock them out of the coop during the day or just let her sit.

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
I have a super broody hen who stays in her nest All DAY and keeps making noises when I take her out. She in the nest never even lay an egg and I feel her crop is full tho. She drinks water but she always go to nest. I try to separate her by letting her and the chickens sleep in our run it’s like predator proof and yeah they never like the coop try sleep in the run
Are you going to give her eggs to hatch?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some keep them in a separate cage to break the broodiness. But that's only temporary, they will soon go right back to being broody. You can either lock them out of the coop during the day or just let her sit.
What happens if I let her sit

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
She may "sit" for weeks; even months. I think it is better to break the broodiness, or better yet, let her hatch one to a dozen eggs. Hens can hatch duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, etc. eggs if you don't want more chickens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She may "sit" for weeks; even months. I think it is better to break the broodiness, or better yet, let her hatch one to a dozen eggs. Hens can hatch duck, goose, turkey, pheasant, etc. eggs if you don't want more chickens.
Umm we do not have space for any more animals but any advice how to break the broodiness

·
Registered
886 Posts
Try this thread

Broody hen

·
Serama King
1,582 Posts
Put her in a small bare cage with just food and water. In about a week she should be ready to rejoin the flock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only if it's a LARGE box. Then you could put some kind of screen over the top. Do not lock her in the dark by closing the box's flaps.
I have a medium sized um she’s rlly broody like just sits in the e nest and I took her out to her run and she just sits on the bar thing and acts like she hatching egg

·
Administrator
18,668 Posts
There just isn't going to be a ton you can do about it. The hormones have to recede then she'll go back to normal. Or got get her some day old chicks at the feed store for her to raise. Then give them away once she's done. That was the easiest thing I found to deal with the problem.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There just isn't going to be a ton you can do about it. The hormones have to recede then she'll go back to normal. Or got get her some day old chicks at the feed store for her to raise. Then give them away once she's done. That was the easiest thing I found to deal with the problem.
Ok update she is not broody anymore

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Give it a little time, she'll go right back to it.
She is super smart too but she always get bullied. I got her for free because another perosn didn’t want her and returned her and so the owner said we can have her. But the previous owner didn’t rlly take good care of her like her feathers were not smooth and in bad condition and she was always bitten by the ducks so yeah. But now she’s way better

1 - 20 of 20 Posts