Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

After one of my hens brutally attacked two other hens, it turns out she was protecting her eggs! I noticed one day that he threw a fit when I collected eggs. I decided to leave eggs in her pen (she is not in a separate pen with her "husband") and she has been sitting on one egg. Not sure if I should have, but I moved another one of her eggs to her. What is the protocol on handling eggs and a broody quail hen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, for some reason it is hard for me to write a post on here via my phone. I'm just curious as to what I should and shouldn't do. I want to candle them, but again that would involve messing with her eggs. Any tips would be great. Thank you!

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
Sorry, for some reason it is hard for me to write a post on here via my phone. I'm just curious as to what I should and shouldn't do. I want to candle them, but again that would involve messing with her eggs. Any tips would be great. Thank you!
I don't have any quail experience but I had a bamtam sitting on 1 egg and would not move for anything. I wasn't sure of fertility so I just gathered up eggs from my other hens that I knew should be good and stuck them under her. She hatched 2 then abandoned her nest to take care of them. She has a buff orp chick and an old english 1. Lol I would suggest just putting eggs under her that you think should be fertile. If she's wanting to set that bad she should take them no problem. What does everyone else thing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's actually in a separate coop with a male. He's the only she likes. I had to separate her after she scalped two other hens and partially blinded one. It was suggested that she might want to go grow broody, which was right. I tried putting eggs under her, but she pushes them away. They are her own eggs, but I guess she prefers to sit on one particular egg only.

·
overrunwithroos
88 Posts
She's actually in a separate coop with a male. He's the only she likes. I had to separate her after she scalped two other hens and partially blinded one. It was suggested that she might want to go grow broody, which was right. I tried putting eggs under her, but she pushes them away. They are her own eggs, but I guess she prefers to sit on one particular egg only.
Weird like I said I don't have any expirience with quail. My hens are still stitting due Monday and they happily accepted any egg I put under them. Lol I feel a little bad my OEGB has 5 buff eggs and only 1 of her own under her :( but she doesn't mind and my other OEGB is happily raising 1 of her babys and 1 buff lol I'm not sure what you should do? I guess just let her sit on her 1 egg lol good luck sounds like she's a handful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts