Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if I’m in the right section here, but hopefully I am. I have one Roo and seven hens. Two of my hens are broody right now and are sitting on clutches.

My black australorp was on 6 eggs (none of which are her own as I tossed the yolkers already). I had to toss one yesterday that was that obviously bad. But of the 5 remaining, two have hatched in the last two days, one pipped externally overnight, and the last two have pipped internally. So all is well there. Babies look great, and Midnight is greatly enjoying being a mama hen.

My partridge Cochin bantam was on way too many (like 18) eggs for her little body, and she went broody while I was out of town, so I didn’t even realize what she did. My friend that was house sitting doesn’t know anything about chickens. Every single egg that she was on except for one had ruptured air cells. I cracked all of them open after candling and seeing that they were bad, and the same thing in every single one. There was an early embryo in each one, one that I could clearly see a whole mini chick (beak, legs, giant eyeball), and all of them had a ruptured air cell. When candling, you could see it wasn’t just a yolker, but it wasn’t just a saddle shaped cell - it moved all over when I rotated the egg.

my question here is if it’s possible that my hen is getting too hot and causing this? It’s not a problem with the hens laying them because my other broody is on eggs from those same hens. And I tried a round in the incubator a while back, and this didn’t happen to those either. It’s something that this hen is doing wrong. There is one egg left under her that has a good looking blood supply and an active embryo, but the air cell does look wonky - I’m going to say displaced at this point.

all of these eggs were laid right in the coop they are in - none shipped - so it isn’t a shipping issue.

I appreciate any insight.

picture is of two of the babies who have hatched in the last two days. Black is a cuckoo marans x buff Cochin bantam, and buff (ish) is Ameracauna x buff Cochin bantam. They both got his feathered feet 😍 and they both appear to be pullets, but that’s based on my totally inexperienced examination.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, and that was kind of my suspicion - almost like she was trying to keep so many warm that she overheated? But I’ve been taking them from her here and there to get her down in numbers, and there were a few that looked normal when candling a week ago, and now those have also “scrambled.” So I’m just confused.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As the others have said. She just had too many eggs. If when they move the eggs around they are banging around, that can occur.
if I’m letting a hen sit, I try to keep the numbers in the single digits.
good to hear you had some success though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts