Broody expert required?

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by mrwakeman108, Nov 27, 2012.

1. mrwakeman108

mrwakeman108 Junior Member

I'm newish to raising hens. I have a mix of 6 girls. they are older not sure exactly as they have been rescued. All were laying. then 3 went broody. i took advice and put them into wire mesh dog type crates, some where cool for 4 days. This broke 2 of them but the 3rd just went back to the nesting box and her sit. so i decided to just let her. Then another joined her. and i was so upset last time i tried to break them i thought well i'll let her sit too. Anyway one of the original 2 that i broke is back sitting again after a two week fix. and now a 5th has joined them...
    Questions
    is it ok for
    a. one to sit for longer than 21 days?
    B. for a hen to go back to being broody?
    i get them out every morning and evening for a feed and they have a dust bath etc

2. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Hello Mrwakeman, and welcome! Let's see:
    1. It won't hurt them to remain broody as long as they want to. It is a hormonal change, and the hormomes will change back eventually.
    b. Being that it is hormonal, they will come and go broody. You can break them if you want to, but especially if they are silkies or bantams, they will be broody alot.
    3. If food and water is available, they will feed and water themselves, and dustbathe themselves also. They can have nasty little temperments when they are broody! But the plus side is that they don't eat as much, and they do stay warmer!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Oh yes, the temperments leave much to be desired. My sweetest, docile Lilah (australorp) was a 2 week long nightmare this summer when she went broody. Even the older girls that used to peck on her, backed off and ran away from her. :p It was awful for all of us. She was so miserable too. No fertile eggs for her. I have no roo so all that work she was insistent upon for nothing.

4. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

I'm no expert...one of my BO went broody. Last just over 2 weeks and she gave up on her own.

All females have mood swings that they blame on hormones.........;)

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My little hen, "butter chicken" has decided to sit on eggs. Just started today. I took the eggs away from her and she screamed at me. Boy was she angry. I'll let her sit in the Spring.

6. artsy1

artsy1 Artfulwings

i take the eggs daily if i have a broody, winter is not a time i want the raising babies... they can give some serious growls and get real miffed

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah, I just felt bad after stealing her child and putting her out with the group. Maybe Mid February I'll let her sit. Not now.