Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone's ask but is it possible to breed bloodiness back into hens over time!?

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Yes, at one time I had planned on breeding chickens for myself and for sale. I lived on a larger property back then and had lots of space. You would have to keep good records and keep two lines, one with broody and one without. That way you would know who had broodiness and who doesn't.

Also, you would have to have broodies to begin with, I'm not sure about breeding not broody chickens, it would take awhile I'm sure. When I had Astralorps I had broody go through like a disease. It was a drama nightmare because so many of them hatched at the same time and had to be separated. I had a RIR who was the best sitter and mother of all of them, but I have never had a RIR since her that went broody.

There are small breeders here and there that I have read about in magazines that have taken heritage breeds and are breeding a true dual purpose back into them. Making those breeds what they were meant to be. Keeping broodies in the line would be another consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts