Broken egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by cat, Jan 19, 2013.

1. cat

cat New Member

image-1366854672.jpg

I have 4 six month old girls. They just started hatching and tonight I found one of their eggs was broken. It appears that the shell did not develop entirely before it was hatched. Is this normal and/or any advice?

2. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

Yes, perfectly normal. Looks like you might have a "shelless" egg. Is the shell part soft?

3. cat

cat New Member

Ok thanks. Yes the shell is soft.

4. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

The shell is the last part of an eggs trip through the chicken. Sometimes the part that excretes the shell misfires especially on a younger chicken. My kids live to find soft eggs. :)

5. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Lack of calcium?

6. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

Lack of calcium would give you a thin shell. An egg with no shell and just the membrane is something different.

7. cat

cat New Member

Thanks for all your replies. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often. I do mix oyster shells into their feed which should give them plenty of calcium.

8. Keith

Keith New Member

Does your flock forage?

9. cat

cat New Member

Thy so forage in my backyard at least an hour a day...why so you ask?

10. cat

cat New Member

My last message meant to say they do forage in my backyard at least an hour per day....why do you ask.

11. doubleoakfarm

doubleoakfarm New Member

I'm curious too as to why foraging matters in this situation.

12. realsis

realsis New Member

I have read that it's normal for young females to do that Evey now and then. Especially when they are first starting to lay.