Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning upon letting my flock out for the day I discovered a broken window in my coop. The door to the run was also moved from where I left it.
The odd thing is whatever busted the plexiglas window from the coop did not touch any of the birds. Thoughts on what possibly happened?

·
Registered
772 Posts
How was the wind in your area? I would imagine that strong winds could pick up a few rocks to smash the window.

·
Registered
764 Posts
TheLazyL said:
Low flying bird tried to fly thru your window?
A pheasant flew through our neighbors window last September. Straight into their living room. There was feathers and blood and glass everywhere. It's a possibility.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would believe that story, if this window was not inside the run, which is fully enclosed in wire.
It's a mystery, I think I was a ****, but with no easy way in or out maybe it opted out of the heist?
I did catch a **** the other night in my live trap.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Was there more shards inside or outside? Are you sure one of your chickens didn't jump up and hit the window?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do you have bears were you live a broken window and an open door hmmmm the other thing I have to ask do you have homeless people living in your area cause it sounds like something opened the door and got spooked and ran kinda strange with no birds missing.

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
I agree with Henny, sounds kind of strange to me. Hopefully no one was trying to mess with your chickens. :(

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are no homeless people.. Just drunks. I live in a very small town off of I-70 . There are no services here. We do have bears, in fact I dealt with one last year eating my potatoes. Being the only crop that survived last years July freeze, I chased it away. The shards were mostly on the inside and the break would indicate a push on the lower left corner.
I have resolved that I would like to set up a camera on the coop. Then I can at least see what is there and when it shows up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
... The shards were mostly on the inside and the break would indicate a push on the lower left corner.
I have resolved that I would like to set up a camera on the coop. Then I can at least see what is there and when it shows up.
Lawn mowed recently and threw a stone?

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's just kinda weird I mean a broken window that's understandable they can break and it doesn't take much but when you add in the open door it has me thinking someone or something was trying to break in a got spooked and ran. Your idea of the video camera is an AWSOME idea or a motion sensor light they come on when something is hanging around and usually scares them off we have them on all our buildings. Let us know what happens IDE be curious to know what it was or who it was good luck.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The odd thing is I have to physically kick and pull the door into and out of its space. I'm starting to think that perhaps it could have been a 2 legged marauder, and that possibly they ran when the window broke?
Anyone have suggestions for cameras

·
Registered
321 Posts
I know that sporting good store sell these cameras that you put in a tree and they are camaflouged so you can't see them and they are silent so you can't hear them take the pics there used by hunters to take photos so they know what kinda of wildlife there is in the area like deer for example for hunting. I'm thinking Walmart might even sell them not sure how much they sell for though.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a few regular trail cameras like you mentioned penny, however we are right in the prime of scouting season for deer an elk and all my equipment is in the field. But none of my cameras take video, which I would like to have.
For some reason I did not think to use a trail camera, and I officially feel dumb

·
Registered
321 Posts
Your not dumb that's why we come on here to get help no question is a dumb question that's how we learn and help others please let me know how it all goes and what you find once you get it set up I'm very puzzled by all that happened lets get em that's what I always say lol ;)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Possible the same critter that tore up my trap last night and escaped just as I emerged from my home.
Took some pics this morning of the trap, think is the big boar **** that killed some hens a while back.

Mesh Motor vehicle Wire fencing Wood Composite material

And the trigger plate

Plant Mesh Fence Wire fencing Composite material

The trigger plate was completely bent up and ripped off, and the entire corner of the trap was busted.
I shall rebuild and set more traps. Lets see that big hunk of fur and fat escape my duke dog proof.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow I have never seen a **** do that to a trap it must be one big sob and usually once a **** has been in a trap you usually can't trap em again that's why when I trap them they go by by. What r u using for bate and how many traps do you have cause I think I would be setting them all up and did you by chance put up a camera yet just to see what it is that is hanging around cause what ever ripped that open has to be pretty big and strong keep me updated.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have set a duke dog proof trap in the yard, I repaired the live trap and placed it in the yard. I also have a old school number 5 foot trap, may be over kill, but at this point I want him more then Obama wanted Osama.
We have every predator you can order out here, only ***** are going to be going after mallows.
My bait of choice is a tin if mustard anchovies and a handful of marshmallows.
I have has the trap cleaned out but not triggered before, so I know he has been trapped before, tonight I will be staking out the yard.
Still no camera up, being smack in the middle of scouting season, I just can't take my cameras from the forest. They are a valuable tool in my big game harvesting. I may buy a new one soon that has video.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow marshmallows never thought of using those thanks for that info it will come in handy one day I'm sure well all I can say now cause you sound like you have everything covered is good luck and let me know what kind of vermin you catch in the end it will be interesting to see what it ends up being.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts