Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hen's eggs got broken and it is still a couple of days before the hatch due-date. The chick was still attached to the yolk sac and still alive. It moved a bit and opened its mouth. I didn't know what to do for the little one, and it did not make it through the morning.

Though I have been raising chickens for years, this was a first for me and I shed a lot of tears over that little chick. I have never gotten used to the fact that I lose one every now and again.

For future reference; does anyone know if there is any way to save a chick when this happens or are they always doomed if the egg breaks a couple days early? It was really just 3 days (or 2 or 4) from hatching; so really close.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Mine did not make it either. I did have one that made it a day early and it is doing great right now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If I crack an egg say 16-18 days into incubation I use electricians tape to seal the crack. Then on hatch day I remove the tape.

If the egg is actually broken, I don't know of anything to do to save the chick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts