Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just got 2 month old pekins a few weeks ago and already love them to pieces! But i have a few questions:

i would love to bring them to this pond on my property because they have a kiddie pool and love it so much, but here are my concerns:

1.) i am very nervous they wont come back! The pond is almost sealed off around the edges but still probably have escape routes

2.) it is a bit dirty, but not with human made things. It has a LOT of the green floating algea on the top and a lot of weeds. The water is quite a bit dirty too, i cant clean it because i have tried before but its just useless.

3.) will they get hurt if they eat the algae or plants?

4.) i put some koi in there a long time ago and i think a muscrat got them :( but just in case would they eat them?

Now some questions about ducks in general!

1.) what age do they start laying? Will they lay in the winter if i have my heat lamp in there? We have some pretty scary winters here though.

2.) how can i bond with them? I love them to pieces but they seem to run away from me, and they like being hand fed. They respond to their names already!

Thank you for any answers here!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
From the sounds of the pond I would not put them in it. 1) it sounds nasty 2) if your fish got eaten by a muskrat the duck are prey as well 3) its sound like its a distance from their coop.

Ok for your other questions. Pekins start laying around 24ish weeks old. They will lay in the winter and do not need a heat lamp or lighting. My Pekin was the only one who laid all winter, just remember if its super cold the eggs will freeze. We get down to -40 F below zero here and I have never given a heat lamp to fully grown birds, it just a fire hazard waiting to happen. My ducks swim in their kiddie pool until it freezes solid then they clean themselves in the snow.
As for bonding, give treats. Thats about all you can do since you got them at an older age. You will never have that imprinted bond with them.

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
From the sounds of the pond I would not put them in it. 1) it sounds nasty 2) if your fish got eaten by a muskrat the duck are prey as well 3) its sound like its a distance from their coop.

Ok for your other questions. Pekins start laying around 24ish weeks old. They will lay in the winter and do not need a heat lamp or lighting. My Pekin was the only one who laid all winter, just remember if its super cold the eggs will freeze. We get down to -40 F below zero here and I have never given a heat lamp to fully grown birds, it just a fire hazard waiting to happen. My ducks swim in their kiddie pool until it freezes solid then they clean themselves in the snow.
As for bonding, give treats. Thats about all you can do since you got them at an older age. You will never have that imprinted bond with them.
Yes, it is quite a bit dirty and i think my neighbors caught the muscrat... Anyways it is not very far from the coop.. But i would definitely have to walk with them to it, i will try to post a picture of it.

I have always had a heat lamp in the coop, because the coop has a specially designed place for it to go and we have never had any problems with it. And thats great news! I would love to have my first duck egg sooner than spring! I also agree with the kiddie pool until it freezes over i am not going out in a blizzard to change the thing!

Thats too bad that i will never have that good of a relationship with them :( its okay though, i assumed that when it got them, but ducklings look terribly hard to take care of!

One other question:

I took in a hen from one of my close friends because it was getting pecked on badly. I got her a few days after i got my ducks so at least the ducks could have some time to settle in. But, now the chicken seems to think its a duck! Haha, its white and around the same size of them, and the hen follows them around and wags its tail like the ducks do! It drinks out of the kiddie pool like they do, and once i saw her trying to get into the pool! Its not deep enough for her to drown in though. I think the other hen is fine with her but its very strange.

Another question (sorry)

Is it possible that the male and female ducks will have ducklings together? I read that they arent usually broody, but i would love to have more ducks!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Pekins are not known to be good parents but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I put my pekin eggs in the incubator when I want more ducklings. As for the hen, thats funny. No harm in it. All my chicken drink from the kiddie pool and like the ducks will eat snow in the winter when the pool freezes.

As for the pond, you said a neighbor may have caught something. Does that mean this pond if off the property?

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apyl said:
Pekins are not known to be good parents but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I put my pekin eggs in the incubator when I want more ducklings. As for the hen, thats funny. No harm in it. All my chicken drink from the kiddie pool and like the ducks will eat snow in the winter when the pool freezes.

As for the pond, you said a neighbor may have caught something. Does that mean this pond if off the property?
I wasnt sure about thus but is every egg fertilized from ducks? And haha, yeah my ne chicken who has seen the snow before loves it!

No, the pond is on the edge of my property and the neighbors pond is literally straight across on the edge of there property. They had koi in there pond too, then the muscrat ate theirs. Since they are hunters they chose to hunt and kill it

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Ah gotch-ya. Yeah I wouldn't put ducks on the pond until it can be cleaned up and made safe. Adding some good water plants can help remove the yuckiness, there is also this stuff (I'll have to find the name) that you can add to the water that is safe for people and animals.

As for the eggs, once you see the male mating the female and you are getting eggs I would give it one week. After that if you continue to see them mate you should have 90 -100 % fertility.

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apyl said:
Ah gotch-ya. Yeah I wouldn't put ducks on the pond until it can be cleaned up and made safe. Adding some good water plants can help remove the yuckiness, there is also this stuff (I'll have to find the name) that you can add to the water that is safe for people and animals.

As for the eggs, once you see the male mating the female and you are getting eggs I would give it one week. After that if you continue to see them mate you should have 90 -100 % fertility.
Yes, many years ago we attempted to clean it, but its soooo big! And the whole bottom is covered with leaves, and plus there is a lot of frogs! My family loves to go frogging on boring days!

·
Banned
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts