Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Very cute. You wont be able to feather sex due to the silkie gene. Most likey youll have to wait till the egg or crow or very close to it.

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
How do I sex pekin x Silkie chicks? Thanks
I would definitely just wait a few more months and then post new pictures on here. We'd be able to judge better when they're older, silkies are hard to sex. :)

There is a chicken called a Pekin? I thought that was only a duck? Very cute!
Pekin's are both a breed of ducks and bantams, so if you only deal with standard chickens you might not have heard of them before. :p
They're a cute little breed, actually. Always wanted to get some to show.
Pekin (Chicken) - Wiki

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Pekin's are both a breed of ducks and bantams, so if you only deal with standard chickens you might not have heard of them before. :p
They're a cute little breed, actually. Always wanted to get some to show.
Pekin (Chicken) - Wiki
They are only called "Pekin" outside the US (most popular in the UK). Within the US we do not have a chicken called Pekin.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, two have hatched out the 5 eggs, more may hatch but pos not now, we will see yes pekin x Silkie are a UK mix as I'm in the UK, they are very good for broody hens, will post more pics as they get older thanks again

·
Chicken Lover
190 Posts
They are only called "Pekin" outside the US (most popular in the UK). Within the US we do not have a chicken called Pekin.
Pekins are basically Cochins, just with different breed standards. Pekins are also a true bantam, whereas Cochins are not. :)
I live in the US and I call them Pekins. Although, people usually don't know what I'm talking about until I explain it to them, haha. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts