Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have 7 chickens right now, but am looking to get more soon. I want friendly, good layers. Any breed suggestions?? I already have Silkies, Blue D'uccle bantams, Easter Egger Bantam, and a White Crested Black Polish. And if you have pics of the breed your suggesting that would be great! :D

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Out of my mixed flock I like my Barred Rock and Ancona the best for eggs laying and being kid friendly. Both give eggs just about everyday, its probably 5-6 days a week. Both are fine with my kids picking them up and playing with them. The only con would be the Ancona is really flighty and doesnt always lay in the coop. The BR is like clock work, every morning before 10 am in the same nest box.

Here is a pic of both from last summer. I couldnt find good current pics.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apyl said:
Out of my mixed flock I like my Barred Rock and Ancona the best for eggs laying and being kid friendly. Both give eggs just about everyday, its probably 5-6 days a week. Both are fine with my kids picking them up and playing with them. The only con would be the Ancona is really flighty and doesnt always lay in the coop. The BR is like clock work, every morning before 10 am in the same nest box.

Here is a pic of both from last summer. I couldnt find good current pics.
There adorable! I like them a lot, might get some of those :D thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
lol the Ancona is my sons chicken, the poor thing gets tortured and is still nice to the kids no matter what they do.

Pic is from last summer, boy I really need to get out and take some new pics ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apyl said:
lol the Ancona is my sons chicken, the poor thing gets tortured and is still nice to the kids no matter what they do.

Pic is from last summer, boy I really need to get out and take some new pics ;)
Haha, ADORABLE!! :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Buff orpingtons: i know almost everyone has these. But people have them for a good reason. There so sweet and their great layers of a large brown egg. Everytime i come in the coop my 2 run straight for me!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
camocatfish53 said:
Buff orpingtons: i know almost everyone has these. But people have them for a good reason. There so sweet and their great layers of a large brown egg. Everytime i come in the coop my 2 run straight for me!
That's so cute! Thank you :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gummybear24 said:
We have a Red Sex-Link to left, Black Australorp middle and Welsummer to right. All very sweet. Red Sex-Link are excellent egg layers. We gets eggs from them all daily.
There adorable, thank you!! :)

·
Banned
825 Posts
The ones that you have NOW.....
....don't strike me as "Good-Layers".
Perhaps you have them for other reasons ( such as entertainment ).
MOST of the "Dual-Purpose" Brown Egg Layers will fit your "egg-laying" desire.
BUT....IF you want the BEST "Egg-Layer" at minimum Feed-Cost...
The White Leghorn ( lays White Eggs ) is undoubtedly the "Best-of-the-Bunch".
It depends on just what you are looking for.
-ReTIRED- :)
P.S. The Egg-Laying WINNER ( White Leghorn ) doesn't "dress-out" well as a Meat-Chicken. (smaller).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ReTIRED said:
The ones that you have NOW.....
....don't strike me as "Good-Layers".
Perhaps you have them for other reasons ( such as entertainment ).
MOST of the "Dual-Purpose" Brown Egg Layers will fit your "egg-laying" desire.
BUT....IF you want the BEST "Egg-Layer" at minimum Feed-Cost...
The White Leghorn ( lays White Eggs ) is undoubtedly the "Best-of-the-Bunch".
It depends on just what you are looking for.
P.S. The Egg-Laying WINNER ( White Leghorn ) doesn't "dress-out" well as a Meat-Chicken. (smaller).
Actually, all of mine are great layers! I get tons of eggs daily. Just looking for more good layers. But I just recently added my last 2 members of my flock...Buff Orpingtons. And they are wonderful! But thank you :)

·
Banned
825 Posts
I am ALSO very pleased with my Buff Orpingtons !
They've laid the LARGEST eggs of ANY of my flock of chickens....
....and very Regularly....even in Winter. ( also GREAT "brooders"....almost as good as "Game Chickens")

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ReTIRED said:
I am ALSO very pleased with my Buff Orpingtons !
They've laid the LARGEST eggs of ANY of my flock of chickens....
....and very Regularly....even in Winter. ( also GREAT "brooders"....almost as good as "Game Chickens")
So far me too!! And that's great to know that they lay in the winter! Thank you so much :)

·
Banned
825 Posts
So far me too!! And that's great to know that they lay in the winter! Thank you so much :)
NOTE: I'm an "Early-Riser" **..so I put a timer on a small light-bulb in the Coop that comes on a couple of hours before Sunrise in the Winter.
( It helps with the Egg-Laying during that time of the year.)
Best Regards,
**I get up before the Roosters. I LIKE to hear them "Hoot & Holler". Ha-Ha !!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ReTIRED said:
NOTE: I'm an "Early-Riser" **..so I put a timer on a small light-bulb in the Coop that comes on a couple of hours before Sunrise in the Winter.
( It helps with the Egg-Laying during that time of the year.)
Best Regards,
**I get up before the Roosters. I LIKE to hear them "Hoot & Holler". Ha-Ha !!!
Hm that's a good idea! Will have to try that ;)

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I have 4 white leghorns that are a lovely bird laying very large white eggs every day like clockwork. I've also cream legbars which lay large blue eggs and lots of Marans - black copper, cuckoo and french wheaten which lay a lovely chocolate colour egg. I would recommend them all!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts