Featured Breda pullet

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Maryellen, May 20, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

My one lone breda pullet .she is maturing nicely. (3 Cockerals are her siblings )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks New Member

Gorgeous! She's a pretty lady.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

4. Maryellen

Thank you! I can't wait to see how she finally turns out. I've got 9 more in my brooder that are going to be mottled so hopefully they turn out as pretty as her

5. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

6. Maryellen

The 9 babies I can't tell who is who until 6 weeks old. Red wattles =male . Pink = female. This one is a pullet

7. Feathered

Feathered New Member

8. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

She's beautiful and so big!She looks like an eagle roosting on your arm.

9. Maryellen

Thank you! !she isn't as big as she looks.

10. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Maryellen -- she's beautiul!

11. Maryellen

Thank you Sylvester, im.hoping the 9 chicks in the house turn out pretty like this one.

12. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Maryellen - re the Mottled at RFR: Her roo's had beautiful waterfall feathering in evenly black and white patterns - really pretty like the first roo you had from Dutch. However, I noticed in RFR pullets/hens that they had a lot more white in their feather patterns with the tails being primarily white rather than an even distribution of black and white. It must be the way Mottling trends in the females. That was why I was surprised at how much black were in the first Dutch Mottled females you acquired. Wonder which trend is the desired? IMO I like the more white look except I would love to see more black in the tails of the Mottled females. Just my preference because I don't know what the standard is, if there is any for Mottled yet? Of course, I love Breda so much that they can be purple with yellow polka dots and I'd still love them!

13. Maryellen

I think my blacks are just blacks with some white feathers. But as m not sure.
    The RFR babies definitely do have alot more white on them, I am.really liking it and can't wait to see how the 9 babies grow up.
    The white 3 month old is from the black hens and the mottled roo from Dutch.
    The 2 split black chicks I hatched from RFR I'm thinking are cockerals, still waiting for wattles to show up lol

14. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

RFR got her Blue/Black/Splash from Greenfire and her Cuckoos from Dutch. I just can't recall if she ever mentioned where she acquired her Mottled but I noticed her roos looked like your first waterfall roo in even black and white feathering and that her females had long beautiful white tail feathering with not much black in the tails. I don't know much about Mottled or where they originally came from so I have no idea what they should look like. I asked RFR if she ever had females with more black in the tails but didn't get a response. I guess she hasn't been breeding the Mottled long enough to see for sure yet. I would love to see a female with just a bit more black in the tail but then I don't know the genetics involved -- maybe it's a genetic thing that the females have more white in the tail than the males? Like chicken danz says, the Breda are so new and full of surprises -- they don't follow the genetic rules like other chicken breeds.

15. Maryellen

I think rfr got some mottled from Dutch too, but not sure.
    I can't wait to see how the 9 chicks will feather out, I'm hoping they look like rfr mottled

16. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

I wouldn't be surprised if RFR got her Mottled from Dutch. She got the Cuckoo's from Dutch and I absolutely love my RFR Cuckoo and wish I could've got an extra one. Very hardy in comparison to the Blue's we've had. The Cuckoo we have really has some beautiful long vulture hocks and toe feathering. Just a bit more skittish but still very sweet. I like that the Breda butt/vent feathers stay cleaner than fluffy-butt breeds. I've never had to wash the butt feathers on Breda. Don't know how they manage to stay so clean with all their extra feathering.

My juvenile lap Breda. She jumps into my lap on her own to preen and then snuggle. She's getting better at balancing and doesn't scratch my arm with her toes anymore.

Attached Files:

17. Maryellen

18. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

She's still molting her juvenile feathers but her vulture hocks and feathered feet are to die for. The edging/lacing on the blue feathers will get better too. My hope is that her edging will look like this as an adult:

Attached Files:

19. Sylvester017

Sylvester017 Member

Had to post some more pics of my Blue Breda. She's growing but still needs to grow out some waddles before I put her with the other hens. She is very curious about the other hens through the coop wire and the Cuckoo Breda is absolutely fascinated with her. The Cuckoo and Blue Breda are definitely gravitating toward each other. The Cuckoo Breda keeps distance from the two old Silkies but she follows the new Blue Breda pullet all around the coop perimeter and the two Breda are gentle as lambs around each other. So glad they will have each other after integration is complete.

Attached Files:

20. Maryellen

Awww soo beautiful! !. I just put my 7 babies with the adults last night (I sold 2 out of the 9).
    You could probably integrate them now.