Breathing difficulties

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by QueenG, Nov 26, 2019.

1. QueenG

QueenG New Member

hello!

I‘ve got a question. One of my new hens (about 7 mths old) was fine today, playing with her sister. In the evening when i went to check on them, she was sneezing and shaking her head like crazy. I took her inside and let her inhale some camomile tea... this was a few hours ago.. since then she started making soinds when breathing, they‘re very loud. I‘m so worried! Should i go to the vets right away? It‘s midnight here... please help!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

She could have something stuck in her airway. Can you open her mouth and take a look? She could have eaten something she shouldn't. It's really hard to know without hands on.

If her color is good you can try taking her in first thing in the morning if you don't see anything.

3. QueenG

QueenG New Member

I looked and didn‘t see anything.. not in the mouth and not in the nose

4. robin416

Is she still distressed or has she calmed somewhat?

If this continues and you have a vet that will look at her take her in.

5. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

How is she this evening? I hope she's alright!

What does the noise sound like? like a whistle? like a gravelly, scratchy noise? can you describe it?

6. robin416

The video has sound, its weird sounding almost like something is stuck in the airway.

7. Sylie

lol oh boy, I didn't even notice it was a video, I'm such a dork. I"ll watch it now, ty Robin

8. robin416

LOL I wasn't sure what you were using to post so I tried to be subtle.

9. Sylie

You're right, in the second video where the breathing is noisy, it does sound like something stuck in her airway. I wonder if she has a small piece of straw in her sinus where you can't see it? Maybe all the sneezing dislodged it and now it's further into the airway making the breathing noisier?

10. Sylie

lol it's fine, ty for that.