Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Try hanging a head of cabbage ( or tomatoes - my flock loves tomatoes) for them to pick at, or one of those treat blocks for the to pick at.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
there are balls you can put food inside that they have to push around to get treats, also i have a mirror in my run that keeps them occupied for ages.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
You can hang cd's in the coop too for them to bat at. Or, you I have bought a tube of crickets at the bait shop and turned them loose in the coop. That's ChickenTv to watch! Especially if you turn them loose in with the bigger peeps. :D

·
172 Posts
Take a plastic bottle, punch holes all around it, and fill it with treats. The post I saw regarding this said it would keep em busy all day.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Layer hay and straw and toss scratch in it. They will dig and dig to pick up every last kernel. When I had a run attached to my coop I would toss in some hay every morning and toss the scratch all around. They would go to town.

In the summer, I buy wheat straw, but it has wheat berries all through it and they will become weeds in the garden. I take the bale up to the coop and break it and spread it around. They go to town cleaning up the wheat berries and breaking up the straw as well as leaving their little presents behind. Then I rake up the straw and take it to the garden. Clean mulch with a little boost of nitrogen. :)

·
172 Posts
Roslyn said:
Layer hay and straw and toss scratch in it. They will dig and dig to pick up every last kernel. When I had a run attached to my coop I would toss in some hay every morning and toss the scratch all around. They would go to town.

In the summer, I buy wheat straw, but it has wheat berries all through it and they will become weeds in the garden. I take the bale up to the coop and break it and spread it around. They go to town cleaning up the wheat berries and breaking up the straw as well as leaving their little presents behind. Then I rake up the straw and take it to the garden. Clean mulch with a little boost of nitrogen. :)
Great idea!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I have one of those open tray bird feeders hanging in their run. Keeps them busy trying to get the treats as it swings around on them. Its set to be head high so they have to work a bit to get the goodies. I was going to get those balls you fill with treats and hang but they seem kinda small.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Sounds like its too crowded. You need more space or less chickens.

I've also heard of birds hanging or choking themselves when items are dangled. Be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts