Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you come out with when mixing a Barred Rock Bantam and a Full size Black Sumatra? How can we get Black Sumatra Bantams?:p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sumatran bantam

We kinda did she hatched one that is a hen and is just like the Sumatran just without the tail feathers. Beautiful! our old english Millie Fluer got her to and threw a rooster that is Different but pretty.:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you I will post pics when she gets bigger :) keep you guys informed. She hated being away from her brother and sisters. Although I think she liked being held and being inside for a few min. She was Spoiled as a Chick now she is her own Woman. They grow up so fast :(.

·
Registered
691 Posts
What would you come out with when mixing a Barred Rock Bantam and a Full size Black Sumatra? How can we get Black Sumatra Bantams?:p
You should get some "intermediate" sized offspring (not large fowl and not bantam) and they will more than likely be black but will carry the barring gene. If you take a male and female from this cross (F1) and mate them together you should get some barred offspring (F2)....keep in mind barred females are generally always darker than barred females so you should have some form of "sex-link" visible in the chicks.

There are Black Sumatra bantams at nearly every poultry show I have attended, my advice is to find a breeder of Black Sumatra bantams and buy some chicks or hatching eggs! No need to recreate the breed when there are some good ones out there. :) Also take a look at a thread called "Bantam X Regular Size" in this forum....we discussed the crossing of large fowl to bantams there a couple months back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts