Black silkie

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Kokoschicks, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I adopted a black Silkie yesterday and she is scared for her life and when I go near her she instantly ducks her head and cowers down. How can I help her?

2. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Just yesterday I took in a black Silkie and she was all beat up and this person gave me her to nurse her into good shape. She has A bunch of feathers plucked out of her neck. She is in her own cage now. I have her inside with her own food and water. I know it's going to take some time but what can I do to make her better?

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Go slow with her and offer little treats. Worked with my petrified banty I took in. Poor girl had seen all her "siblings" killed and hauled off by a fox - twice. I would pick her up anyway and just hold her quietly close. She didn't know what to make of that at first. Neither did the ameraucana I took in 4 days after banty. Neither had been handled much before and both are more receptive and friendly to me after about a month. Now both jump down to greet me and see if I have any goodies. Follow me around the yard just like the rest of the crew. They're like scared dogs or another domestic pet. Just time and gentle words & handling do wonders for them. And super yummy snacks. :D Good luck with your new friend.

4. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Thanks a bunch! That advice will help a lot!! And what little treats would you give them? I have the dried mealworms. Is that a good treat?? And should I give her any vitamins?

5. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Just go slow with her. Don't put her in with the other chickens yet, for your good and hers. You want to make sure she doesn't bring in any illness to your other chickens, so keep her separated from the rest of your flock. Talk quietly and move slowly. Pick her up and pet her and talk softly to her. Poor thing is so scared. I like to always get two chickens at a time, that way, they have each other to hang with. TSC has a poultry drench that is great to give to chickens in times of illness or stress. Mealworms make a great treat. When it's time to introduce your new silkie to the other hens, supervise. Let them free range together. Introduce slowly. Put a cage in the coop so the other hens can see her but not hurt her. Mealworms make a great treat. Do you have other banties?

6. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Yes I have 2 other banties that are 9 weeks old and still tiny but they get along great with my big flock and I wouldn't want to separate those two . I would love for her to have a friend to hang out with tho

7. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

image-1957987795.jpg
    This is her when I'm not near her she picks her head up a little

image-3713802220.jpg

Then when you get near her she instantly ducks her head :(

8. rob

rob New Member

lovely looking silkie.

9. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

Awwe :( poor little girl. It makes me feel so bad when I see animals do that. Good luck.

10. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Any ideas for helping her?

And also she ate treats out of my hand today but she is still very scared

11. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

I would just take things slow and just squat down to her level so you don't seem like a threat and not as big....then just let her come to you instead of moving in on her space. It will take patients to build trust, but the little girl.needs it & needs to know someone really cares about her.

12. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

Poor little girl :( and yeah I will :) ill let her outside for a whole tomorrow!!

13. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Just looks like she's scared and doesn't trust you yet. Give her vitamins and lots of treats!! She'll come around. Once she feels better and gets use to her new home, she'll start hanging with the other banties.

14. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

What all do you give for treats? I'm trying to mix it up a little and give them a better variety.

15. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

I give my Edith things like squash, applesauce, yogurt.... Things she can get that are soft. She wears more then she eats sometimes! Then I get to give her a bath!

16. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

Thank you & ill try those and see how they like em. Chanticleer likes getting a bath...he closes his eyes when I'm scrubbing his legs & feet and nearly dozes off! Must feel great!

17. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

She seems to like being outside by herself :)

image-3405457465.jpg

18. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

She is very pretty! Outside probably feels good to her . Where do you live? It looks so sunny there!

19. TravisFoxTN

TravisFoxTN New Member

She is a beauty ♥

20. Kokoschicks

Kokoschicks New Member

I live in western Massachusetts and don't be Fooled by the sun haha it's only 32 out right now but she is loving life being outside for the first time :)