Chicken Forum banner

Black Sexlink Hatch

5K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  Energyvet 
#1 ·
First one of the year. New roosters.

Target, is setting 40 eggs on Feb 4th.

#9 ·
Okay final count. Saved a total of 38 eggs, after candling I eliminated 4 eggs, due to porous shells or double yolk.

So in the incubator at 1700 this afternoon 34 eggs.

Now all I can do is wait for day 10, candle and then I'll see if Mitt and R
Romney are doing their part. 6 months old, they may not be putting their heart into it.

#12 · (Edited)
Just curious.. I thought double yolks are able to hatch and become twins?
I have never hatched a double yolker. Not saying it can't be done, just never attempted it.

When starting a hatch I candle all the eggs going in, anything abnormal with the egg, will get it pulled. To dirty, to big, to small, porous shell, cracked shell, double yolk-- I put only the select eggs in the incubator. My experience in hatching shows that even if you put the questionable eggs in the incubator, the vast majority of them won't hatch, when compared to the hatch rate of the select eggs. Or if they do hatch, the chick will have health issues.

#14 ·
twentynine said:
I have never hatched a double yolker. Not saying it can't be done, just never attempted it.

When starting a hatch I candle all the eggs going in, anything abnormal with the egg, will get it pulled. To dirty, to big, to small, porous shell, cracked shell, double yolk-- I put only the select eggs in the incubator. My experience in hatching shows that even if you put the questionable eggs in the incubator, the vast majority of them won't hatch, when compared to the hatch rate of the select eggs. Or if they do hatch, the chick will have health issues.
You are the egg whisperer!

#15 ·
Got to tell a little truth on myself---

Started 34 eggs Monday afternoon, well I use one of those Hovabator turners that hold 41 eggs. Tuesday evening I picked eggs and the barred rock hens gave me 5. Well lickedie split, I put'em in the incubator with the 34 I had started the previous day.

I have never added an egg to the incubator once I set the initial load. Hanging around here with you people is a causing me to pick up all manner of bad habits:eek:

#18 ·
There is a YouTube Visio of a double yolk hatching into twins. With help.
Like I said --- not saying it can't be done. Just never tried it.

And no matter how much it pained me, I never help a chick out of the egg. I used to, only to end up with chicks that are hatched with health issues. Bad legs, crossed beeks, bad necks. These were readily identifiable because of the disability, so they would end up being adopted by my granddaughter as pets. Only to have quality of life issues. And grand daughter with broke heart.

#19 ·
Yes, I've heard that many times. Universal truth. Hatching seems to be the final test to fitness. That's why I mentioned it. I always asked that question and never got an answer. Then I saw this YouTube and was excited to hear of two chicks. Then I watched it and saw this person opening the shell and I was thinking - oh that's not good cause I still don't know if they would have hatched out on their own due to your impatience. So that's the end of my story at the moment.

#20 ·
twentynine said:
Got to tell a little truth on myself---

Started 34 eggs Monday afternoon, well I use one of those Hovabator turners that hold 41 eggs. Tuesday evening I picked eggs and the barred rock hens gave me 5. Well lickedie split, I put'em in the incubator with the 34 I had started the previous day.

I have never added an egg to the incubator once I set the initial load. Hanging around here with you people is a causing me to pick up all manner of bad habits:eek:
I would have done the same thing.....actually did with what is cooking now. :)

#21 ·
Little premature but I couldn't help it.

Pulled a couple 4-5 eggs out and candled. They are looking mighty clear, should have been able to see traces of veins plus starting of aircell. 1 or 2 might have had a trace of an air cell. Not looking good for the home team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.