Black Orpington Cross genetics

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by Joanne, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Hello all! I am getting a young Blue Plymouth Rock pullet and am wondering what I'll get if I cross her with my Black Orpington roo? The Blue Rock is itself a hybrid between an Andalusian rooster and a Barred Rock hen. Anyone want to give it a go?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Not a Silkie so I have no clue. What are you looking for the possible colors the peeps might be? The physical characteristics?

With the pullet being a hybrid there is no telling what color genetics are hidden that might come out with the breeding.

3. Joanne

Joanne New Member

My understanding is that blue is basically diluted black. And my rooster is possibly a black/lavender split. So some possibilities are black or blue. I'm not sure how a lavender gene would interact with a blue gene. Then there is the barred pattern coming from the Barred Rock. I don't know how that gene works other than it can be sex linked. As a hybrid the blue rocks won't breed true. It would be nice to get a line of blue or blue barred chickens with some of the nice Orpington qualities.

4. Joanne

Joanne New Member

Hmm, maybe an auto-sexing line of chickens with blue roosters and blue barred hens. With Orpington size and temperament.

5. robin416

In Silkies if you breed blue to blue, you get blue. That's a solid color blue, no markings as in the breeds you're talking about. If you breed a blue Silkie to a Black silkie you get a mix of blues and blacks. 50% blue/50% black.

The blue isn't really a diluted black because the genomes are different for both colors.

6. Joanne

Joanne New Member

In non-Silkies it is a bit different. 1 black gene + 1 blue gene = blue. A blue chicken can be a self blue (homozygous for blue) or just blue (heterozygous). And it just gets more complicated from there.

7. robin416

And that's why I said because they're not Silkies I probably shouldn't comment. Silkie color genetics are different.

The same is true of blue Silkies as far as the blue genes. (no pun intended there)

Getting a true black Silkie is hard anymore because of people mixing blues and blacks.