Chicken Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are located in Indiana.

Now that our incubators are full we are offering hatching eggs from or flock of Davis Black Copper Marans.

Our prices are $60 for 12 or $35 for 6. We can do more than 12 upon request.

We strive to keep our birds healthy and happy. We practice strict bio security. For those that are NPIP, we will be getting our NPIP certification in the beginning of June.

We breed strictly to APA standards while maintaining and improving egg color. Our flock consistently produces pullets and hens that lay 6-8 on the Marans egg color scale. All of our stock have nicely feathered shanks and outer toes. We do not use any cockerals or roosters that show any flaws.

Presence of white adult feathers, improper eye, beak, or ear coverlet color, feathers on any toes other than outer toe, light straw colored hackle feathers, too many points on the comb or any mossiness are immediatly culled from being used as breeding stock.

Due to our Black Copper Marans being pure Davis bloodlines our hens show less coppering in their neck feathers. We are working to increase and improve the coppering in our hens. Our birds do however, have the ability to produce show quality stock and show quality eggs. The eggs we ship can range anywhere from 4-7 on Marans scale. We have a lot of hens at different ages and points in their laying cycles.

Our stock also produces very large and healthy chicks. Our customers have been very please with the chicks size and strength at hatch.

We strive to keep our birds healthy and happy. We put fresh straw in their run as needed to keep the mud at bay. We also clean the coops once a week to every two weeks as needed. Our hens nesting boxes are freshened every couple of days to help keep the eggs clean and reduce any accidental breakage.

Our chickens are fed only Purina and Manna Pro feeds. We feed scratch grains as treats in the colder months and black oil sunflower seeds in the warmer months. The oils help to give our flock beautiful glossy feathers.

We accept PayPal as payment. Please message with the amount of eggs you would like and your Paypal ID and we will send you an invoice. Occasionally we do have a waiting list. If there is a specific date you need your eggs please let us know.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It's not high if the eggs really are that dark. Prices sky rocket for the really dark eggs -- you won't find hatchery stock that lay those. They'll be dark brown, yes, but not nearly black. I lucked out with mine - found someone local with very decently dark eggs who just wanted to see them hatched. So I ended up with fifty some odd eggs for $25! My incubator baked half of them... now I am just waiting for my girls to grow up for a month or two more and start laying. I am going to be over the moon to have chocolate eggs... :D

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
If we didn't just have chicken tacos I could have taken a side by side picture of hatchery Marans versus appropriate breeder Marans. No comparison. From just a rooster standpoint hatchery ones are grayish black, have some white feathers, bad foot feathering, and coloring is just off all around.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It's not high if the eggs really are that dark. Prices sky rocket for the really dark eggs -- you won't find hatchery stock that lay those. They'll be dark brown, yes, but not nearly black. I lucked out with mine - found someone local with very decently dark eggs who just wanted to see them hatched. So I ended up with fifty some odd eggs for $25! My incubator baked half of them... now I am just waiting for my girls to grow up for a month or two more and start laying. I am going to be over the moon to have chocolate eggs... :D
That is what I call them chocolate eggs. My daughter laughs every time I say it. I don't think I got any in my hatchery chicks, I hope not I don't want to get the type that lay off eggs. I would rather get better ones if I got any of those.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a question...are all the different types of Marans able to lay dark eggs or do some types lay darker eggs than other Marans? Wondered this a long time!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Black and Copper Marans are the ones with the darkest eggs as they have been bred for that the longest. Some of the Black/Blue/Splash ones come fairly close. And the newer colors like Golden Cuckoo... their egg color tends to be terrible. Just brown, not chocolate by any means. Real shame as they're a lot prettier! SIGH. Can't have it all.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
I need to interject something here. Birds that are bred to the standard set for the breed are expensive to raise. It takes years to get them right, it takes money. The birds that hatcheries sell have no thought put in to the desirable traits breeders are looking for. Birds of the same breed are tossed together without any thought other than they are the same breed.

The girl in my avatar took years of breeding to get that look. It took hatching a lot of chicks that did not make it in to my breeding program. But I still had to feed them, sometimes for more than a year to know for certain a chick was not suitable.

So, yes, the eggs might seem pricey when purchased from someone trying to breed their birds true but they have put a lot of work into them to get there.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Yes, this is SOOOO true. If I want a breeding quad, I will need to start with no less than 4 or 6 roosters. And 15 or so hens. Even then sometimes there are minor flaws that can be worked out in a few generations. Usually to get them right on you have to bring different blood in.

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Yes, this is SOOOO true. If I want a breeding quad, I will need to start with no less than 4 or 6 roosters. And 15 or so hens. Even then sometimes there are minor flaws that can be worked out in a few generations. Usually to get them right on you have to bring different blood in.
Exactly.

(This is where the forum gremlin reminds me my post isn't ten words long so I'll beat it to it.)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Exactly.

(This is where the forum gremlin reminds me my post isn't ten words long so I'll beat it to it.)
LOL I never knew it did that. That is something new to know. Yeah we put years into perfecting the Legacy breed, however it just got to be to much. Out of 25 chicks out of the last batch of hatched eggs only 1 was what I would call breeding quality. However I would of had to have driven all the way to Maine to bring in new blood and to keep things going. I gave up. It was too much for me to keep working with them and me in bad health and everything else that was going on with my son.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yeah, and add to the fact some breeds it's actually easier to go through a hatchery, buy 100+ birds, whittle them down DRASTICALLY, and go from there, because finding a breeder who knows what they are doing is near impossible. Did that with the Brabanters... ordered 100 straight run, got 5 roosters and 12 hens from it, most I would call decent not great. I want to do again next February but I have to convince my SO it's necessary to prevent a genetic bottleneck.... :rolleyes:

I also did this with my Dorkings, getting my initial stock from McMurrays (as suggested by old timer's working with the breed) and now am adding breeder lines to encourage larger size, autosexing features, and better temperament in the roosters. Will go from there. It's a process. Robin's right - takes years, a good eye, more patience than it's probably worth... I do it because I enjoy it. Some other do it for shows. If you can find the right breeder who already has very decent birds (and in this case egg color) it's totally worth it to the right person... I have a few breeding groups I started from breeder birds, it's easier that's for sure! But if you just want a Maran and don't care about all that then hatcheries will carry them for cheap!

·
Administrator
20,616 Posts
Yep, what WLC said.

I didn't show so I did it more because it was something that I could work on and show results from. Sometimes I wanted to just quit but every time I opened up the coop in the morning I would question why I would even consider getting out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts