Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i have 6 Rhode island red hens. i can't tell them apart but two of them always peck or bite me.

why do they do this and how can i get them to stop? it hurts! please help.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
They are showing dominance over you. You are part of the flock. Don't let them do it, push them away, flick them in the head, ect. When one pecks at me I give a push and they think twice next time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tap mine in the beak not hard but enough to annoy them. I tell them no. Sometimes it takes a few taps but they stop

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i don't want them to avoid me. i want them close, just not biting me. they love to sit on me and have their faces and backs rubbed.

I've been pushing them away and tapping their beaks when they do it and that seems to work well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Flick them in the neck

My bossiest hen pecked me in the ankle a few days after I brought home 2 new barred rocks. I flicked her in the neck and she gives me a wide berth now. I'm sure she was fired up over the new girls but she still needed to know I'm the boss.

I started calling her "chicken dinner" for a couple weeks until she calmed down. She really gave my barred rocks a run for their money, even though the BR's are way bigger than she is. It's super hard to allow them to work out a pecking order!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The first day I had my hen she but me on the lip and drew blood I herd to pin them to the ground for a few seconds so I did and it cured it and I always let her come back and sit on my lap after and I always showed her love I didn't stay mad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts