Biring’s Poultry Palace

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by Biring, Nov 6, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, what is she building?

3. Poultry Judge

They better be careful!

4. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

I enjoy the pictures and seeing the palace take on shape and form. It is not cold today, but I am bundled up and shivering wishing I were where you are. What fun to grow plants like what you are growing. Bananas! I wish...

Biring likes this.
  5. robin416

There was someone in Lawrenceburg that was successfully growing a banana tree. I never went by the house in the dead of winter so I don't know what they did to protect it.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  6. danathome

danathome Well-Known Member

Yes, bananas can be grown here-for decorative purposes. Our season is too short for fruit. Rather like figs. Here in TN we have figs coming out our ears. Kimmi love them and I've lost count how many trees and varieties that are growing in our yard. In the northern states fig trees will grow, but the season is too short to get ripe figs to eat; unless you have a good greenhouse to grow the plants/trees in.

7. Poultry Judge

Did the work men survive?

robin416 likes this.
  8. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

My wife wants an al fresco cooking area. I guess my fishing spot will become a dining room instead. Oh well.

9. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Growing bananas takes a lot time. We have a few plants my wife planted two years ago that haven’t produced any fruit yet.

10. robin416

Then about like it is with fruit trees we have here in the states.

11. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Except banana plants aren’t trees, they’re plants in the same order as ginger and various other monocots.

12. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

I tried moving the terrorists (batch 3 plus the matriarch) over to the barn at dusk. Matriarch plus four chicks moved back to our terrace, three chicks remain in one of the stalls. I suspect the matriarch will start laying again soon. Hopefully I can convince her to lay in the barn.

13. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Hence the expression here “a banana plant only fruits once”, equivalent to the English expression “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me”.

14. robin416

I'm confused, are you saying they only produce once a year or that's it for all time?

15. robin416

The chicken wrangling begins.

16. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Each stem produces once then it dies and a shoot takes over. But you have to make sure there aren’t too many shoots otherwise your yields will suffer.

B3FAC3ED-9089-49B5-B82E-C440A81CA769.jpeg

Here are the seven shoots I’ve just planted in our triangle field at the edge of this plot. It will be a long time before we get any fruit but hopefully they will produce shoots we can transplant elsewhere.

17. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Oops wrong photo

18. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

19. robin416

LOL I was looking at that first pic and thinking, those are shoots?

I'm going to have to look up growing bananas to fully understand the part about shoots and dying and harvest. Since we have Google that will make it easier on you.

20. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Yup, those are shoots. Sweet plantains can grow to 20’ before they produce fruit. Most other varieties top out at about 10-12’. Mini bananas are much smaller; I haven’t planted any there yet but hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze one or two shoots in at the edges.