Biring’s Poultry Palace

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by Biring, Nov 6, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

You were right, it did add something to the main building.

2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Great pic! You are going to get a lot of use out of your new building!

3. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

My wife has found some new guys to torment. Today they laid the cement kitchen floor and started installing the electrics.

It looks like my wife has highjacked my project. My fishing area is now a dining room and the chicken stalls are guest rooms. Pretty small ones admittedly, but just big enough. Oh well, I have to give her some (a lot of) leeway - she’s spent the past nine months carrying our first child and the sprog is about to pop any minute now.

4. robin416

How did that happen?

And didn't the word get spread through the village to stay away from her?

5. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

We actually had a couple of guys turn up this morning on the off-chance we hadn’t found someone to carry on with the project. Turns out there’s no shortage of guys looking for a $6 daily wage to put rice on their dinner table.

6. robin416

Considering the COL here it's hard to wrap my head around how low it is there.

7. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

My wife feels we are being ripped off if someone earns one cent over the daily minimum. I believe good workers should be rewarded for good work. This is the only source of friction in our marriage, but it is friction nonetheless. I pray we never have another project!

Poultry Judge likes this.
  8. robin416

That's still a tough one. They say most stress in marriage has to do with finances. I can now see it's a universal issue.

9. Poultry Judge

I don't know how it is there, but with the sanctuary here, the projects never are one hundred percent finished.

10. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Same here. I have to own this and work on our marriage going forwards.

11. Poultry Judge

And guest rooms? You are going to need a sign advertising: Biring's Poultry Palace/Hotel/Farm/Rubber Plantation/ and all the other projects you have going! You have a rich and busy life!

robin416 likes this.
  12. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Don’t forget our oil palm plantation! It’s only 1.5 Ha/170 trees but it’s by far our most lucrative asset.

13. Poultry Judge

Yes, and you raise rice too?

14. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

4E64EDCE-89FC-4C4B-8507-8A7B41C2823B.jpeg

The fields are ours but the rice isn’t.

15. robin416

But you get a certain percentage of the rice. Correct?

How much land do you actually work? Remember you're talking to a Yank here. Although the good thing is that there is Google.

16. Poultry Judge

Thanks for the pic and taking the time to explain things for us!

17. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

The rent is about half a tonne (~1,000lbs) of wet unprocessed rice grain per acre per harvest. Here they grow two crops a year, although three crops are physically possible. We have half an acre of paddy fields here and another half acre about a mile down the road. We have another quarter acre here with our house, barn and banana gardens.

We have four acres of oil palm trees that yield 1,200-2,500lbs of fresh fruit clusters every two weeks.

Right next to that we have six acres of mixed woodland that yields about 120-150lbs of rubber latex a week (although sometimes we skip a week or two). There are also a few dozen durian trees there, some jackfruit, chocolate, bamboo and probably all sorts of other things besides. I haven’t fully explored the wood yet. There are also dozens of arecanut palms that yield about 500lb of wet unprocessed nuts every two or three months.

We’ve also got another acre and a half of rubber plantation in another location but the trees are not currently being tapped and the other produce is stolen by one of the neighbours or monkeys before we can harvest it. I’ve suggested to my wife that we sell that plantation as we rarely visit and the price of land there has shot up due to its proximity to a hot new tourist attraction. But it’s part of her family’s ancestral land and it has to stay in the family.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  18. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

I should add that the only land I actually work is our banana gardens, the rest of the work is done by locals. They earn a fee per lb for harvesting the oil palm, and half the value of the rubber latex they harvest (plus a small fee per lb for transporting it to the market). We get half of the value of other crops too, such as dogfruit, stink beans and betel leaf. People get paid per half day of clearing undergrowth and per litre for spraying herbicide. Arecanuts are harvested by the agent.

Our half acre plot down the road also has bananas, a type of palm whose leaves are used for making roofs and a small vegetable garden. The guy managing that plot gets to keep all of the side produce, except for coconuts, which we share.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  19. robin416

So your property is spread out all over and not contiguous? It can't be easy to manage all of the various plots even if you have people hired to care for them.

It's hard to wrap my head around a 1000 pounds of rice when I think of the few pounds I eat a year. What I eat is a drop in the bucket compared to what is consumed there.

20. Biring

Biring Well-Known Member

Indonesians eat an average of 150lbs of rice per person per year. Our chickens also eat a lot of rice. We harvested our two remaining muscovies today so hopefully our rice will last a lot longer.

We have 10 acres that are almost contiguous. Those two plots are about half an hour away from here. I used to visit a couple of times a week but recently I’ve been busy here managing the landscaping and building projects.

The half acre down the road is managed by a family that lives right next door. All I have to do is turn up and collect our coconuts. Our coconut tree there stopped producing a while ago. It’s now back up and running but it will be a few months before we can harvest coconuts there again.