Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes indeed, it was a great day that started with Savanah, my Isa B, laying her biggest egg so far! In fact, it just might be the biggest egg EVER. Meanwhile her sister Clementine (who somehow manages to lay a surprisingly pink egg), laid one with speckles that were indeed of a lavender hue- so pretty!!

Eloise graduated from fairy eggs to a perfectly normal, lovely sage egg!

Beatrice, my Olive Egger, FINALLY laid!!!

Henrietta, who lays a beautiful, soft blue popped out one with white speckles for the 1st time!

And Miribell, my problem child, finally, finally consented to some Vaseline on her comb!

It's funny, I stopped being excited about Easter decades ago...but now every day is an egg hunt and it's SO much fun!!

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Great your chickens are started to lay. You need to take a pic with the egg beside a measuring tape.

·
Oldhen2345
77 Posts
Well, hoping for a Christmas miracle. My BO who is 3 hasn't laid in a while- henopause?. Flora, my Marans, had been laying a couple a week- she has stopped. Daisy is the only trooper in the group- she still lays about 5-6 eggs a week. Go Daisy. I think the other 4 are just waiting for Spring to start. Maybe on Christmas Eve at midnight when the animals can talk, I can have a conversation with them. LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, hoping for a Christmas miracle. My BO who is 3 hasn't laid in a while- henopause?. Flora, my Marans, had been laying a couple a week- she has stopped. Daisy is the only trooper in the group- she still lays about 5-6 eggs a week. Go Daisy. I think the other 4 are just waiting for Spring to start. Maybe on Christmas Eve at midnight when the animals can talk, I can have a conversation with them. LOL
Definitely have a chat with them. Remind them to eat their calcium, share the nesting boxes and lastly, about stew pots!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great your chickens are started to lay. You need to take a pic with the egg beside a measuring tape.
Boy are they! I can't believe how many they are producing, especially for young hens in the off season... We already have enough to feed us every morning and to share with our family and friends. We're going to be able to feed a small army once the warmer mos are here!

·
Oldhen2345
77 Posts
Boy are they! I can't believe how many they are producing, especially for young hens in the off season... We already have enough to feed us every morning and to share with our family and friends. We're going to be able to feed a small army once the warmer mos are here!
OK, now I am a simmering pot of jealousy as I write EGGS once again on the grocery list for tomorrow :oops:. Really, though, congrats to you and your hens. I have been having to explain to people that yes, I still have my chickens and no I don't have any eggs and well, maybe I will have some later- check back in the spring. Harsh.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I cheated and put a heat lamp out in the coop(wind chill this morning 17) and I've been getting 4 eggs a day.As soon as I got a dozen,Dale gave it to his dad this morning-grrrrrr-and I have baking to do.I found a "recipe" for cake flour and I wanted to try it in a pound cake which takes 5 eggs, now I have to wait for more eggs.There are 25 hens out there and I refuse to buy sad little commercial eggs,dammit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, now I am a simmering pot of jealousy as I write EGGS once again on the grocery list for tomorrow :oops:. Really, though, congrats to you and your hens. I have been having to explain to people that yes, I still have my chickens and no I don't have any eggs and well, maybe I will have some later- check back in the spring. Harsh.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear you aren't getting as many these days. I thought I would wring my hands off between mo 4-6 while we waited to see if they'd start laying.

Granted, there are many reasons hens don't lay and I'm sure this is not the case at all with your flock but know what really bugs me?? When other keepers don't get that the ladies do need to feel happy and safe. One of our acquaintances has a coop you can smell a mile away and their kids only remember to feed 5-6 days a week. And then they wonder why ours are laying better. Well, believe it or not, clean bedding and not having to fight for food helps! And they think we're completely nuts for giving them toys.

I swear, I've noticed a spike in the number of girls that lay the day after they get fresh fruit and veggie pan to pick over or a new chicken 'toy'!

·
Oldhen2345
77 Posts
Not the case here. My girls are safe and pampered. I live in town with a 6 ft privacy fence surrounding the yard. The coop has a run that is enclosed in hardwire cloth. Concrete cap stones outline the outside of the run. They are fairly safe from predators. I haven't had much of a problem- I have only ever lost one young chick and I think it was a cat.
I completely clean and replace the pine chips at least once a month- they get DE and Spruce the Coop with dried flowers and herbs that smell and I am sure, taste, great with each cleaning. I also use a poop board, so the poop doesn't pile up. the coop doesn't smell - I have neighbors and would not want to be reported- beside wanting the girls environment to be as clean as possible. I also feed every morning between 7-7:30. (some days it is tough to get up and any earlier is usually dark). Alberta also stands at the gate and screams until I get there- She doesn't believe in me having a day to sleep in until 8 am. Water is in a 5 gallon bucket with nipple cups- I completely clean it and refill it once a week- sooner if there is algae or a water leak. The girls free range every day, I give them a protein snack every evening when I get in (if it is not dark yet). They get apples, celery, lettuce, cabbage and if it is real cold- meal worm mush(cooked rice in chicken broth or milk depending on what is handy, mealworms, mashed scrambled egg and BOSS just warm-not hot). In summer, they eat the veggies in the garden and I give them melon and in the fall, pumpkin. So, I guess the answer is - not enough light. I really don't want to put a light in there- I think their natural seasonal rhythms are better for them rather than forced light making them lay. My chickens range from 3 year old Alberta to the spring chicks that are now 9 months old and haven't laid an egg.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not the case here. My girls are safe and pampered. I live in town with a 6 ft privacy fence surrounding the yard. The coop has a run that is enclosed in hardwire cloth. Concrete cap stones outline the outside of the run. They are fairly safe from predators. I haven't had much of a problem- I have only ever lost one young chick and I think it was a cat.
I completely clean and replace the pine chips at least once a month- they get DE and Spruce the Coop with dried flowers and herbs that smell and I am sure, taste, great with each cleaning. I also use a poop board, so the poop doesn't pile up. the coop doesn't smell - I have neighbors and would not want to be reported- beside wanting the girls environment to be as clean as possible. I also feed every morning between 7-7:30. (some days it is tough to get up and any earlier is usually dark). Alberta also stands at the gate and screams until I get there- She doesn't believe in me having a day to sleep in until 8 am. Water is in a 5 gallon bucket with nipple cups- I completely clean it and refill it once a week- sooner if there is algae or a water leak. The girls free range every day, I give them a protein snack every evening when I get in (if it is not dark yet). They get apples, celery, lettuce, cabbage and if it is real cold- meal worm mush(cooked rice in chicken broth or milk depending on what is handy, mealworms, mashed scrambled egg and BOSS just warm-not hot). In summer, they eat the veggies in the garden and I give them melon and in the fall, pumpkin. So, I guess the answer is - not enough light. I really don't want to put a light in there- I think their natural seasonal rhythms are better for them rather than forced light making them lay. My chickens range from 3 year old Alberta to the spring chicks that are now 9 months old and haven't laid an egg.
Oh, I never once suspected YOUR chickens lacked for anything, the issue just reminded me of that other family. And goodness...hats off to you for having the stomach to rehydrate and MUSH mealworms. I can hardly stand to look at them even in their dehydrated state.

I was also hesitant about adding unnatural light... I don't like to disagree with mother nature, one rarely wins when they do. So finally, I added an outdoor string of amber tinted edison bulbs to the exterior of the yard. The hen house still darkens naturally but this way, they can stay up and out a while longer. I just hated the idea of them being stuck inside and bored to tears for 14 hrs at a time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts