Best treadle feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering' started by Bobochick, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Bobochick

Bobochick New Member

Hi folks,

I have a coop with 3 ISA browns and 4 silkies, ages ranging from 5-10 weeks old. I'm new to chickens, but recently moved into a house with an excellent chicken coop so giving it a go!

At the moment I'm using a simple pipe gravity feeder and plastic gravity water feeder.

Unfortunately, we have noticed some mice getting around and despite putting out baits and traps in the coop (while our chickens are out free ranging of course), they're still around!

Have read that automatic treadle feeders can help with this - wondering if you have a point of view on the best kind/brand?

Thanks in advance!

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I've never even heard of them.

What you need to do is put the bait out and leave it out. Put it in places they can't get to it. I had special bait boxes that the mice could get in but the chickens couldn't. I was also able to put bait under my coop floor where the chickens couldn't go but most of the mice lived.

And use ag bait, don't use the household stuff. Ag bait is safer. Tomcat is one of the Ag baits. Havoc is another.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

agreed, put the bait and traps where the chickens can't get it but the mice can. If you only have it out during the day, the mice aren't as likely to get to it, they prefer to feed at night or in the dark.

Maryellen likes this.
  4. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Watch the 3 isa browns as they mature,sometimes they will beat up on the silkies.

Mice are pretty smart and if they see one of their own killed in a trap they will avoid the trap. Some folks make traps out of 5 gal buckets and round spools and fill the bucket with water halfway, when the mice climb up the ramp and onto.the spool to get to peanut butter on the middle of the spool it rolls and the mouse falls in the bucket and drowns.
    Be careful with bait as if you have dogs and cats if they eat a mouse that was poisoned they will get sick too,so will wildlife that eats the mouse

Sylie likes this.
  5. robin416

That's why AG bait is safer, it takes quite a bit more to harm other species if they eat the dead rodents.

6. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

I had a treadle feeder from amazon.it worked pretty good

7. robin416

OK, now I'm going to have to go look them up.

I'll be darned, I had one of those for the oyster shell. I tried the crumbles in it but the fines built up too much to be usable.

8. Sylie

I don't use crumbles, they eat too much of it and I spend twice as much on feed. Also, none of my girls like them. They all prefer the pellets

9. robin416

With bantams most pellets are too large so it has to be crumbles. Heck, even some of the crumbles are a problem with bantam chicks.

10. Sylie

Yeah, I've had bantams, never had a problem with the pellets though. They had nonmed chick starter until they got all of their feathers then switched to pellets and they did fine.

11. robin416

I only ever found one feed mill that made small pellets. My birds loved their feed but then I moved away and had to find something new. None of the pellets I found here were small enough.

12. Sylie

Weird. I just use Dumor brand for all of my chickens and ducks, even my bantams had it, they ate the pieces that were small enough and left the bigger ones, I recycled those to the big girls.

13. robin416

There would have been a lot of waste if I had used the Dumor pellets because I didn't have large fowl so there would no recycling to others sizes. I did try crushing them once, that didn't turn out well at all.

14. Sylie

true enough! If you wanted to break the larger ones in half, that might have worked but omg what a time consuming pain in the neck that would be

15. robin416

And they are hard as rocks. Does that tell you I tried that? I tried a knife, if I was able to cut one the pieces went zooming.

16. Sylie

ROFL! ( I envisioned a piece flinging across the room) I don't have problems with them being that hard, maybe it's a brand thing.

17. robin416

It could have been. It's been so long ago that I was trying everything I could think of to make them smaller I don't remember where I got them from. I even tried running them through my food processor. That was a waste of feed.

18. Sylie

lol dust! I suppose you could have made mash and frozen it for emergencies :)

19. robin416

LOL I could have mixed it with warm water and served them breakfast in bed too.

20. Sylie

THERE YA GO!!! great idea! warm it up in winter, great little breakfast